Chapter 25

I slowly opened the door and peeked through. There was no one around so I slowly stepped out farther. It didn't look like anyone was around, until I looked over to the bed and saw someone laying in it. I tilted my head and shuffled over. I leaned over to see Max under the blankets with his eyes closed. I climbed up on the other side of him and looked at him.

"Max?" I whispered as I gently shook him. Max jumped and opened his eyes quickly. He looked at me in confusion.

"Alyssa?" He said and sat up. "What are you doing here? How did you know they moved my room?" I frowned. 

"Um, I didn't. This is my new room." I said. He sat up and rubbed his eyes.

"I bet this was something with my mom." He said. He had dark circles under his eyes as he looked up at me.

"I just heard you come in and you were already passed out. I'm sorry for waking you up, you must be tired," I said as I rubbed his dark circles with my thumbs. 

"You were already in here?" He asked. I nodded.

"Yeah. I was taking a bath." I said. Max looked over my outfit and widened his eyes slightly.

"Ah. I'm sorry. I had no idea." He said as he glanced away. He swung his legs off the bed and put his back facing me. I bit my lip and moved closer until I was sitting right behind him. I internally took a deep breath and wrapped my arms around him. I leaned against him and put my chin on his shoulder. 

"Sorry for what?" I asked. I heard his breath catch and he turned his head slightly. He froze in thought but I raised a hand and pulled his face to me. I kissed him and he was quick to respond. He slowly stood up slightly so he could turn around and put a knee on the bed. 

He pushed me back on the bed until he was on top of me. I hand my hands tangled in his hair and he had one hand next to my head and the other on my hip. I skillfully lifted a leg out of the slit in my bathrobe. Max slid his hand from my hip down to my leg.

My mind returned to reality way faster then I wanted it too. My breath caught and I broke the kiss. Max looked up at me in question. 

"What if I'm not ready for all this Max?" I whispered. Max slowly rolled off of me and we both sat up. "I really don't know if I can do this. I didn't even finish college. I'm 19. How am I supposed to do this."

Max sighed and nodded. "I figured that all of this would scare you."

"You don't even know how much. I can't believe that I'm a pregnant teen... like..." my sentence drifted off as I got lost in thought. This was never in any of my plans. First, I'm getting married.... and I'm already pregnant before-hand. I couldn't shake the fear that was settling in the pit of my stomach. Not only that, but I have to learn how to take care of an entire nation in meanwhile... then actually do it for the rest of my life until someone takes over. To add to that, what if I don't even get to see my kid. What if as soon as I have him, he gets sent to someone else to raise and take care of them. 

I shivered due to my own thoughts and sighed. "Max, I think a lot has to change here in the palace."

"What do you mean?" He asked and put a hand on my knee. I shrugged.

"I don't know. I think I'm just blurting nonsense so of course it would be confusing. What I'm trying to say is that I really want to make this place our own... like into a way that doesn't feel so closed off."

"I'm really not following what you're saying."

"Max, I don't think  I could handle being in here for the res of my life if it stays the way it is. I'm in  the palace, the one that watches over an entire nations, yet I feel so distant to the people we are supposedly protecting and governing. How many times have you left this place?" I asked. He pondered.

"Probably enough to count on my hands, but never to cities. Only to visit other family or royals for special occasions." He said.

"Exactly. Everyone outside of here... they love you, but they don't know a single thing about  you. It's frustrating to think that the royal family doesn't seem to trust the people, and I know because that was how I lived until recently. You don't know them, or what they want, or what they need, because this palace is like a fortress and nothing goes in or out. I feel like I can't breath." I finished. Max nodded. 

"Now I understand. All that probably makes you really on edge when here, and all the stress of the job doesn't help with it. I'm sorry, I should've noticed sooner and done something to make you feel better. As for the palace being more involved with the people, you make a really good point and I'll be sure to bring it up with the King okay? Why don't you just rest and I'll be back later." Max stood up and fixed his clothes and began to head out. I quickly grabbed his hand and held onto him.

"Woah. You don't have to do it right now. You look exhausted. Lie down for a bit, I don't think you've been sleeping well lately." I said as I pulled him back down.

"How can I just sit down an relax knowing you're pregnant?" He replied. I stopped. "Alyssa, I want the best for you and I want you to be happy, but now I have another person that I want to be happy and healthy. I don't have time to waste." I sighed and stood up.

"Wait here." I walked into the large closet with both my clothes and Max's clothes and changed into something comfortable to sleep in. After that I looked through Max's clothes and picked something for him to sleep in. I walked out and back over to Max who was still sitting on the bed. I sat next to him and put the clothes in his lap. 

"Here. Change into these." I said.  Max gave me a look and I nudged him. "Please just do it." He sighed and stood up. I jumped slightly when he suddenly started stripping in front of me. I tried not to make a big deal and slowly turned away until he was done. 

"Now what?" He asked. I looked back up and sighed. I gave him an over the head sweater and sweats, what I was wearing wasn't much different. I stood up and pulled his arm over to the bed. 

"I know you feel really impatient, I feel the same, but if you really care about the future, you have to take care of your body." I said. I pulled him onto the bed and forced him to lay under the covers. I got in next to him and pulled up the covers. I curled up to his side and threw my arm around him. "Now go to sleep. I'm not going to let you leave until I feel that you're well rested."

"Alyssa-"

"Please just stop and listen to me okay? I need this as much as you do." I said. Max looked at me and nodded. He rolled on my side and wrapped his arm around me too.