Chapter 17

While walking away I immediately looked for a place of comfort. I let my feet carry me to where they wished, and was led to the library. I sighed and walked in. I greeted everyone inside and went to the secret reading corner.

I sat down on the couch and leaned my head back. I bit my lip in thought of what could have happened. Before I could slip too deep in thought, however, I heard footsteps being to approach the small entrance of the room. I questioned who it could be, before it dawned in me who the only other person that knew this room was. My eyes widened.

"Shit," I muttered and sprung up to leave, but there was only one way in and out, and nowhere to hide. I groaned as I accepted my fate and slumped back into the couch.

Not much later, Max walked in holding a book with one hand and rubbing his temple with the other.

He sighed and headed towards the couch, but stopped as soon as he looked up and saw me. He stared at me blankly and I sat silently doing the same. Without a word, he just turned around and left. I watched after him and was thinking of just letting him go, but I thought it over and couldn't leave it there.

"Max!" I called out and chased after him. I caught up to him and grabbed his arm to stop him. "What happened? What's wrong?" I asked. He stopped, but didnt turn around.

"Alyssa, it's better if we don't talk too often anymore. Okay?" He said, and shook me off. I felt a drain in energy due to his words.

"...but... I thought.... but why?" I asked softly. Without a response, Max continued onward.

How can he say something like that and not explain, or at least tell me why. I just stood there as he walked away. 

~

Later on,  I trudged through the hallway to my room. I walked while looking down at feet,  all the reason why I wasn't prepared when a body came and slammed into me. I fell back, but before my head made contact with the floor, a hand came and caught it. My eyes opened slowly to reveal Adrian.

"Oh my god! Of course it would be you that almost killed me!!" I said as I shoved him away. He backed up laughing and extended a hand to me.

"I honestly did not mean that, but what a piece of luck. I was actually looking for you." He said.

I dusted off my dress and looked up at him.

"For what?"

"I want to do something fun, but I cant in this place. I want to sneak out, but I thought company would be fun, and you're the only person I could think of that wouldn't be a party pooper and needed some air too." He said. I shrugged as I watched him.

"Are you sure we wont get caught?" I asked him. He laughed.

"You obviously haven't known me long enough." He claimed and grabbed my hand and dragged me away. We hurried to my room, and while he waited outside, I hurriedly changed into dark casual clothes, which Adrian was already wearing.

I slipped back outside and Adrian signaled for me to follow him. We silently walked through the hallways until we came to a smaller door. He slowly opened the door and we silently walked in. At first i had no idea how we were going to get outside, until I realized we were going through the servants quarters.

He continued farther back, until we reached another door with a small window that peeked into the dark night. He unocked it and we both slipped outside.

We finally took a beep breath after making it outside. I smiled as I let the weight on my shouldeds melt away in the cool air. Before I could get too lost, Adrian continued onward.

"So now what?" I asked. He smirked.

"Dont worry about it, I hooked us up with a ride." As soon as he said that, a car rolled up in the long driveway, we were still a bit far from the entrance, so probably nothing too noticable. He opened the back seat door and let me slide in, where he slipped in beside me. The car began to move and when I started to put my seatbelt on, Adrian stopped me.

"Bear with me," he said and pulled me down so that I was laying down with me head in his lap. I felt a blanket thrown over me and rustling.

My eyes were wide open out of shock. However, I stayed still and silent. I felt the car stop and heard some talking from the front seat. Finally, the car began moving again. I waited another five seconds and got up. Immediately after, I smacked Adrian in the arm. He jumped out of surprise and made a face.

"Ow!? What was that for!?" He exclaimed as he rubbed his arm.

"You could have told me ahead of time." I said simply and buckled myself in. I kept the banket and laid it over me. "So where are we going?" I asked. He shrugged.

"Maybe the nearest town. Watch a movie, eat some food."

"What about being noticed?" I asked again.

"If people dont know what the prince looks like, I doubt that they know what his cousin looks like. As for you, nothing about you has been said or broadcasted yet, so only people who already knew you recognize you." He explained. I nodded along.

"Wow Adrian, it's good to know that you use your brain once in a while. We don't want to let it get too rusty." I joked. Adrian gave me a glare.

"I dont like you sometimes." He muttered. I laughed and we fell into a comfortable silence as the car continued onward. Soon enough, however, I saw the lights if a city and I jumped in excitement.

"I cant wait."