Chapter 19

I re-entered the building through a different entrace and began to head to my room. Once there I changed into pajamas after an hour of struggle to get my dress off. I plopped into my bed under the covers and exhaled.

I laid just like that for hours with my doors locked. I didn't even let Stacy and Kelsey in when they came to me with breakfast and lunch.

My mind was racing and pounding to the point where it physically hurt. It was freezing in my room so I piled multiple blankets over me and pulled them over my head.

I've been doing this for weeks. At first,  I would visit the library and be a hermit there.

However, just two days ago I began to feel completely drained, not just emotionally. I could barely eat, and when I did, I would throw up 8 of 10 times. Not just that, I was freezing. I could not have enough blankets.

"Lady Alyssa?" I heard Stacey's voice through the door. I didn't answer since I could barely catch my breath. I heard the door open. "I know you want us to leave the food outside but I couldn't.... Lady Alyssa are you feeling alright?" She stopped. I knew she couldn't clearly see me, but could hear my breathing.

"I'm all right Stacy. Just a bit tired," I lied. I felt her hesitantly leave the room, which shortly after, I passed out into sleep again.

~~~~~~~~~~

I walked down the hall towards my room when I passed two maids talking. I recognized both as Alyssa's helpers who I hadn't seen in two weeks. I slowed down to listen to what they are talking about.

"I think Lady Alyssa is really ill Kelsey. She's not getting better, but I think it's getting worse. I feel like we should tell someone even though she says she is fine. I checked on her once while she was sleeping and she looks very bad," said one of them. I froze and stood in thought. I didn't wait any longer. I grinded my teeth and rushed to Alyssa's room.

~~~~~~~~

In the midest of a haze, there was rapid knocking at my door. I felt too weak to open it, or yell across the room, so I stayed silent hoping they would go away.

It was the opposite. Next thing I know, someone bust through the door and called my name. Through my blurry vision I felt someone lift me up slightly.

I got my eyes to focus enough to see Max's blue eyes looking into mine.

"Omg, Alyssa how sick are you?!" He said. I didnt respond, I just looked into his eyes as he panicked. Suddenly, a wave of sadness hit me and trears began pouring out of my eyes. "What's wrong? Does something hurt?"

"I thought you hated me but you're here," I sobbed. "I thought I lost you and would never see you again. I thought I lost my chance." I dropped my head down crying and I felt when Max pulled me to him and wrapped his arms tightly around me.

"Dear God, Alyssa, I can't see you again if you let yourself die like this." As my head fell to his shoulder, I heard someone else come in. "You, go get a car in front of the house NOW! You, get me one of those blankets and tell my parents that I'm off."

A blanket dropped over me and I felt Max lift me up. I felt him carrying me, but once again passed out too early to know the rest.

Not too long after, I woke up in a bright baige room with royal blue curtains and decorations. I sat up feeling so much better than I had the past week.

While I was drinking water from a cup on a table next to me, a man in a white coat walked in.

"Oh. Ms. Alyssa, you're up. That's earlier than we expected. You were quite ill." He said. He walked towards me while writing on a clipboard.

"What do you mean? What happened?" I asked. The doctor cleared his throat and adjusted his glasses.

"Well, you had a sever case of the stomach flu that escalated very quickly." He began.

"Where did I get the flu, I got the vaccine," I questioned.

"Vaccine or no vaccine, during pregnancy your immune system is low to make sure your body doesn't reject the baby. Naturally, you were more seceptible to the flu. Congrats on the child by the way. We are just going to continue with the treatments and fluids and soon you'll be back to normal. You're lucky that such a high fever didn't affect the child." He finished. I froze and my eyes widened.

"Sir, I think you have the wrong clipboard or something, because I'm not pregnant, even if I was, it would be too early to know." I said nervously. The doctor sighed and looked back at me.

"Im sorry but I checked the tests myself. Also, just to let you know, we took a blood test. Those are much more accurate that at a drugstore and detect pregnancy much faster," he replied.

"That's not possi-" I was cut off.

"Did you have sexual intercourse?" He interjected. I slowly nodded yes.
"Was there protection?" He asked. I bit my lip and looked down.

"Not that I know of." I replied quietly. The doctor closed his notepad and smiled.

"Then that is that. Congrats, you are three weeks pregnant. A nurse will be in soon to change you fluids. I'll come by again tomorrow." With that, he left the room and shut the door behind him.

I sat in silence as I processed what the doctor said. I felt my eyes water up and pulled my knees up to my chest. I sat like that until I heard the door open again. I looked up to see Max in casual clothes and a beanie. He was carrying a bottle of water and a snack bar.

"Alyssa, you're up?" He asked. He quickly set the stuff down in a chair and came over to me. He sat down on the side of my bed and pulled me over to him. I hid my tears by keeping my face in his chest as his arms wrapped around me. "Sorry I wasn't here when you woke up. I just went to get something to eat." I emotionally picked myself together and pulled away.

"It's okay. How long was I out?" I asked. Max sighed.

"You passed out around 2:30pm yesterday and it's currently 11am. That would mean almost a complete day." He said. I looked at him and raised my hand to his hair.

"Tell me you weren't here that entire time," I said. He shook his head.

"You know I can't promise that," he said. I put my forhead up against his and closed my eyes.

"I'm sorry. You look so tired." I said. I felt him raise a hand my cheek and raise his head slightly. Suddenly, before anything could happen, my eyes snapped open and I pulled away, the exact instant he was going to kiss me. I saw his eyes suddenly open as well. He gave me a concerned look.

"What's wrong?" He asked.

"Oh, it's nothing. It's just that I'm barely getting over the stomach flu right now, so....." I trailed off. Max nodded.

"So that's what was wrong. Alyssa, you really scared me. You can't let yourself get to that point anymore." He finished. I nodded. If only he knew I didn't have an option.

A/n: I just want you guys to know I do get your messages. I updated this after not studyimg for Physics and failing my test. Was it good, or no good? Like, comment, and tell me what you think!