Flowers

"Rosie, I'm bored."

"I know baby, you've told me 4 times"

Lisa groaned and leaned backwards into her pillows, something that didn't cause her much pain anymore. She's been healing really well. Her walking is going great, she goes for around 3 per day around the ward. I follow her with a wheelchair in case she gets too tired and I have to push her back the rest of the way. But I'm really proud of her.

"I can ask the nurse is I can take you to the little shopping complex next door? We can have a wander through there. You can see some new things after 5 weeks of hospital walls?" Her eyes light up a little and she nods her head, eager to break her boring daily routine. "Okay baby, I'll be back in a second okay?"

I push myself up out of the visitors chair, and walk out of Lisa's room into the usually busy hallway. A man in front of me holding a large bouquet of flowers, I'm assuming for a visitor here. It doesn't take me long to spot Lisa's nurse, she's definitely got the loudest laugh in here.

"Hi! Um I just wanted to ask your permission to take Lisa to the little shopping complex next door? She's really restless today."

Evie pauses for a moment, taking in my question. "That should be okay baby, just be sure to be back before lunch! Because Lisa needs it for her medication. Were you here when we prescribed Lisa her new meds?"

I shake my head.

"Well, they have more significant side effects than her old pain killers. She'll definitely be restless, low concentration levels, and she may be hormonal too. Has she shown any of those symptoms?"

Thinking back to the other day when Lisa was being a horny little shit and asking me to sit on her face in the middle of the lunch room, it made much more sense. I nod at the nurse and giggle. "Yes she has definitely shown a few of those symptoms."

"Well, try and keep it PG in the hospital please!" I can feel my cheeks go red as my eyes widen. "But yes, take her next door, you have my caller number if you need me to come and assist."

I bow and say a thank you to Evie, before turning on my heel and hurrying back to Lisa's room. She's sitting up in her bed, her hair an absolute mess, waiting for my answer.

"We can go! Do you want me to help you change your clothes?" She had been wearing hospital gowns and hoodies for the past 5 only wearing a beanie when she wasn't in her room or had visitors over.

"Yeah, can I take this off and wear sweatpants?" She unties the sides of her gown.

It wasn't much of a challenge to get Lisa to change clothes now, I of course still needed to help her shower, but the getting dressed part was pretty easy now that she wasn't in as much pain. So it wasn't long before she was wearing a pair of grey sweatpants, a blue hoodie and her beanie to hide her unkept hair.

"Okay ready?" Lisa braced herself as I pulled her backwards into the wheel chair, probably one of the most painful, other than having to clean her wound out, things that she still had trouble with.

I pushed Lisa out of her room and into the hallway, which was now significantly busier than 10 minutes ago when I was here.

People stopped to look at Lisa while I wheeled her down the halls of the hospital, most of them wanting to have a look at the girl in the wheelchair. But after her having to do it almost every day for the last 5 weeks, she's learned not to pay them any mind.

"Do you think I'll be able to buy a new beanie?" Her voice was hopeful and optimistic. That was the thing with Lisa. She hadn't once complained about her state. Of course she told me that she was bored often, but she hadn't felt sorry for herself at all.

"Yes love, I'll get you a new beanie"

The first thing we did when we actually got into the shopping complex was have a little sit down, taking in the feeling of not being in the hospital anymore, even if it was only for 2 hours or so.

"Rosie?"

I turn my head to admire the beauty next to me. "Hm?"

"This is our first time in public together..."

Looking at her shy but bright smile, I can't help scooting a little closer to her and putting an arm around her shoulders, kissing her in public with absolutely no feeling of worry.

"Everyone is looking at us" Lisa's voice in my head caused me to look up and realise that yeah, they were. People were looking at the two lesbians making out on a bench in the middle of the shopping complex.

"Let them". I pull her in again and her lips meet mine. The feeling of being able to kiss her with people watching, none of them knowing the significance of this kiss. Never being able to do it before without the chance of both Lisa and I being hurt. "I love you"

"I love you too"

After standing up and gripping the sides of the wheelchair, I look around at our surrounding shops and ask Lisa which one she wants to visit first.

Lisa's eyes land on the shop directly to our right, a smirk forming on her face. While I roll my eyes because I know exactly what she's about to say. "We should go to that sex and lingerie shop!" I don't even bother answering, instead I grip the sides of her chair and push her in the complete opposite direction of where she wanted to go.

We spent probably an hour and a half wandering around the complex, randomly kissing every now and then because we could. But by the time Lisa and I got back to her hospital ward, she was starting to get tired.

"How did you guys go!" Evie's voice echoed through the hallway, both Lisa and I twisting our necks so we could see her.

"Good! I got a new beanie!" Lisa pulls her new hat off of her head, exposing her messy hair to everyone. Lisa shoves the beanie into Evie's hands proudly. She's so fucking cute.

"Looks nice baby. It will take a while for me to get used to you in a blue beanie now rather than your grey one that hasn't left your head."

We say bye to Evie and I push Lisa round the corner and into her room. Stopping dead in my tracks at what's waiting for us.

A giant bouquet of flowers. Identical to the ones I saw the man carrying earlier. They must have come from the hospital gift shop.

"Oooh for me? Is there a card?" Lisa's eyes light up when I reach for the card. "Lalisa" written on the front in big cursive letters.

I slide the card out of the envelope and my heart stops.

Glad to see your are recovering well!
I wish you all the best.
Feel better soon.

J . S

Happy Pride Month my babies 🏳️‍🌈