The Struggle Begins

Hastinapura

"Stop, Indrasena!"

The charioteer held back the reins, wondering why his master wished so out of sudden.

Yudhishthira got down the chariot, his eyes fixed on a man sitting at a corner of the street. The man was coughing continuously. His torn robe was stained with fresh blood.

Yudhishthira reached the man and caressed his chest and back, hoping to give him a bit of relief. Recognizing the crown prince of Hastinapura, he tried to join his hands into a namaskar but broke into cough again, vomiting more blood.

A worried Yudhishthira looked around in search of someone who could take this man to a doctor. But there was no one. The street of Hastinapura was empty at this time of noon. The royal palace too was far away from here.

But the man's condition told him that he could not afford to wait anymore. He needed treatment and medicines immediately. Yudhishthira decided quickly and looked at his charioteer.

"Indrasena, we have to take him to the vaidya." He said, "as soon as possible!"

Indrasena nodded and helped Yudhishthira to take the man to the chariot. Ensuring that he could sit comfortably, he looked at his brothers who were silently watching his moves.

"Bhima, your four go home." Said the eldest, "I'm seeing this matter."

"Home can wait, Jyeshtha." Bhima said, "but don't know why it feels like we have to be with you now!"

"I too feel the same, Bhrata," Arjuna said, exchanging quick glances with the twins who nodded in agreement.

"We shall follow you, Jyeshtha!" The four brothers declared and ordered their respective charioteers to follow Yudhishthira.

***

Shivi

"You are so fortunate, Putri!" Suratha said as Devika touched his feet, "I am glad that such a good proposal has come for you!"

"What is it, Kaka?" Devika humbly asked.

"For elders of a young daughter, there is nothing happier than a proposal of marriage for their gem!" Suratha smiled, "And this is that moment for both your father and me!"

Marriage proposal? Devika's heart raced. She did not miss the grin on Kotikasya's face who was standing beside Suratha. She knew this cousin brother of her could do something like this only. Was it the same thing that she was guessing?

"Really, Suratha?" Govasana was happy.

"Yes, Bhrata. Our youngest child is going to be a bride soon, of a renowned kingdom!"

"But you have not yet said who the groom is!" Govasana said.

"Wait, Jyeshtha Pita, wait!" Kotikasya smiled, "every good thing needs patience!" He handed over a scroll to Govasana, "Read! This is what the groom's father has sent!"

Govasana took the scroll. Spontaneously his eyes moved to the end of the letter to find which kingdom's seal it was carrying.

"Sindhu raaj Vriddhakshatra!" He exclaimed.

Devika closed her eyes in despair. Her fear has indeed come true!

"Yes, Bhrata!" Suratha said, "the king of Sindhu has asked for Devika's hand for his only son Jayadratha."

***

Hastinapura

"What is the matter, Vaidyaraaj?" Yudhishthira frowned, "why are you ignoring all these people who are suffering in front of your eyes?"