His Trouble, Her Mission

Shivi

Shivi

Devika's fists curled on the sheath of her dagger as she overheard Kotikasya talking with Jayadratha.

What is this evil personified doing here! The Princess's lips pursed in sheer contempt. She leaned against the wall, trying to overhear them.

"There's not much time!" Jayadratha said in a low tone. "The Pandavas are about to set for Hastinapura. Yuvaraj Duryodhana wants the job to be done sooner."

Devika's heart jumped to her mouth. What they were planning to do?

"Fine." Kotikasya nodded. "First we need to locate the exact place where Pandavas might stop at the night for rest. It will be easier at that time than in daylight."

"You just echoed my mind!" Jayadratha's eyes sparkled. "Duryodhana does not want anybody suspecting. So it's better to finish all the problem by darkness only."

Cowards! Devika felt like screaming. Her fingernails dug into her palms in the struggle to hold herself. It was not wise to let these people know that she had heard their plan! That would not help her to save the Pandavas from this upcoming danger! To know the conspiracy in detail, she had to keep her calm.

"Right. But which one would be better? Poison or an undercover assassin?" Devika held her breath as she heard her brother asking.

Jayadratha shook his head. "Poison would take much time to execute and there is no guarantee of success. They say Bhima is immune to all kinds of poison after that first attempt in childhood. Duryodhana failed to kill him with poison in the second time." 

"I see!" Kotikasya rubbed his chin. "Fine, then, better send a group of armed killers. And also a group of spies who can ensure that nobody suspects anything. After the Pandavas fall asleep, it won't take much."

"Done. But another thing. What to do about that fiery beauty?" Jayadratha licked his lips as his eyes glowed in lust.

"Draupadi? Let our assassins abduct her for us. We deserve some pleasure after such a hard work." The smile on Kotikasya's lips was scathing. "And she is already pleasing five men, so why won't she satisfy all of us too?"

Devika clutched her dagger's blade without caring for the blood that oozed out. Her frame shook in shame and contempt.

She hated the fact that the blood running in Kotikasya's vein, did run in hers too!

The two friends broke into cruel laughter that poured fire into Devika's ears. She could not stand there anymore. When she rushed to her chamber and panted for breath, a worried Ratnavali approached her.

"Rajkumari! What happ..."

"Where is Shaivya?" Devika immediately asked, cutting her off. That was the only name she could trust in this family!