Festiveness Begins

Kunti's mansion, Indraprastha

"You look disturbed." Kunti held Devika's chin. "Any problem, child?"

Devika lowered her head. It was something that bothered her since she had come here. But she hesitated to voice it.

"I have done injustice to someone." Guilt betrayed her voice. "I promised them to give a secured new life in my husband's kingdom. But..." She bit her lips, sighing. "Situation turned so worse in the swayamvara hall that I simply forgot about that!"

"That's very normal, given what you had to face there." Kunti sat closer to her, caressing her back. "Who are they, Putri? And what did you promise them?"

"Maa, one is my chief Sakhi, Ratnavali. She stood by me in every thick and thin. Without her help, I could never have come here today! And the other, the architect who constructed my swayamvara hall. Unless he agreed to my plan, someone else would have won me before Maharaj reached!"

Kunti quietly listened to her. A smile of satisfaction played on her lips.

As if she was seeing the female form of her own son! She felt proud of Yudhishthira's choice now.

"I'm grateful to both of them!" Devika continued. "They have taken huge risk to make me unite with my selected groom. But now, I fear, they are facing my father and brother's wrath while I'm enjoying happy days here!"

Kunti softly chuckled.

"Did I say anything wrong, Maa?" Devika looked at her.

"No." Kunti shook her head. "I just felt amused to see that you have same habit of thinking of everyone except yourself, just like my son."

Embarrassed, Devika lowered her face.

"Worry not!" Kunti patted her head. "If you have promised anything to anyone, it's now our duty to fulfill the same. Know that the very wish of Indraprastha's would-be Queen is an order and will never go in vain."

Devika's eyes filled in tears. She clang to Kunti who took her head on her bosom.

"You have brought new fortune for this land, Devika!" Said the Rajmata, kissing her head. "Indraprastha will be blessed to get a Queen like you!"

***

"This is indeed a great decision, Maa!" Draupadi readily agreed. "Worry not! I myself shall ask Indrasena to do the needful. Otherwise, if Maharaj comes to know, he will leave all pre-wedding rituals and run to Shivi himself." She chuckled.

"That's correct." Kunti agreed. "Better don't let him know now."

"I won't. But I was thinking of something else, Maa."

Kunti raised an eyebrow.

"It pains me to think that no one will come from Devika's natal home to attend her wedding!" Draupadi sighed. "But the least we can do is, to invite some of her close friends. At least she will feel happy."