The News Reached Its Destination

Kampilya

"My task has been finished, Maharaj." The royal weapon-smith bowed to the King, "The bow is ready for Rajkumari's swayamvara, exactly as you wanted."

Drupada rose to his feet in excitement that he could hardly suppress.

"Have you ensured the bow is heavy enough, and the centre of its weight is misplaced?"

"I did, your highness!" The weapon-smith replied with a nod, "The centre is displaced from its original position in such a way that no one can identify it without touching the bow."

"And what if someone finds it out?" Drupada gave him a sharp look.

"Worry not, Maharaj! Even a slight mistake in holding the bow correctly will make the wielder fall down due to its strong reflex. Without a really good efficiency in welding bows, this bowstring can never be tied! That much I can assure you!"

Satisfied, the Lord of Panchala took a deep breath.

"Thank you, Bhadra! I shall give you the reward you deserve for constructing such a unique bow!"

"Your generosity, my Lord! But I shall get by greatest reward when our dear Princess will be won by the husband she deserves! I shall accept my remuneration only after that."

Drupada nodded at him with a smile. His beloved daughter, sitting beside him, had been listening to everything quietly. Now she rose and joined her palms respectfully to the weapon-smith.

"Give me your blessings, Aarya!" Draupadi prayed.

"May Narayana bless you with the husband who is as kind as you are, Rajkumari!" The aged person uttered, his smile mixed with tears.

After he left, King Drupada looked at Krishna.

"Vaasudeva, you didn't say anything? Is my plan correct?"

"Without a doubt, Maharaj!" Krishna smiled.

Being assured, Drupada nodded. "Along with this bow which is difficult to string, I have planned for a tough target which only the best archer of Aaryavarta can beat." He added, "For my daughter deserves the best!"

"She definitely does! And I will ensure that she gets the best, Lord of Panchala!" Said Krishna, "You can start sending the invitations now!"

***

Shivi

"Wish me luck, sister!" Kotikasya cast a proud glance on Devika, "I am going to participate in the swayamvara of Princess of Panchala."

Devika did not feel any good from her cousin's gesture. She knew that her father and uncle were also going to Kampilya for attending the swayamvara. For them it was more like a chance to unite with the Kurus who were also coming there. Personally she had never liked the idea of using women as pawns in the game of political alliances, but it was what entire Bharatavarsha used to do.

"May the Princess get united with the man of her wish!" Devika said indifferently.

"Wish? She has been declared as Veeryashulka, Devi." Kotikasya reminded, "As you know, such a Princess has no choice of her own. She has to accept whoever wins the contest of her swayamvara."

"A bride has always the right to say the final word regarding her wedding, Bhrata! Be it swayamvara or not! Forget not, this land of Bharata gives this right to all her daughters and all the men must respect the same!"

"Stop this nonsense logic, sister!" Kotikasya snapped, "The Princess is bound by her father's promise. She cannot deny that, because it would not be any good for Maharaj Drupada and Panchala itself."