Princess Rukmini

Vidarbha

Vidarbha

"Didi!"

Devika's familiar tender voice made Princess Rukmini turn to her. "A hundred years to you, Devi!" she smiled a half-smile through her otherwise worried face, "I was thinking of you only!"

"Really?" Devika lifted her eyebrow, "Do I have to believe that you were thinking of me right now, instead of your groom-to-be?" she teased, putting her arms lovingly round Rukmini's neck.

Rukmini's smile fainted. "Chedi Yuvaraja Shishupala is not my groom-to-be, Devi!" she uttered slowly, her voice determined, "In no way I am going to marry that minion of monster Jarasandha!"

"I know, Didi!" Devika caressed Rukmini's cheek, "I did not mean him either. Am I not aware of who your Lord of heart is?" she smiled, "Worry not; Krishna Vaasudeva will definitely come here for you! He will never let you fall into Shishupala's hands!"

Rukmini's eyes fell on the bunch of peacock-feathers she adored as the symbol of the man she loved. "Do you know tomorrow is the day? What if..." she could not finish, instead began caressing the peacock-feathers absentmindedly, as if she was speaking not to her friend but to the one who used to wear those feathers on his crown. Devika noticed it, trying to realize the mental situation of her two years older childhood friend who was more like an elder sister to her. It was natural for the Princess of Vidarbha to be worried, given that her wedding with Shishupala had been fixed on the very next day.

"Have you contacted Him by any way?" Devika enquired.

"I did." Rukmini nodded, "A letter has been sent to Dwaraka last night whose reply I'm still waiting for."

"Don't get tensed then, Didi." Devika tried to comfort her, "He will never ignore your call! May be He is on the way to Vidarbha right now."

The very thought of meeting her beloved Lord made Rukmini lost in her blissful dreams again. "May your words come true, Devi!" she mused.

"They will! Now come, let me do your shringara." Devika pulled Rukmini's hand, "Otherwise your Prananatha is going to scold me tomorrow for not decking up his bride properly!"

Rukmini smiled with heavy blush, while her sisterly friend smiled in relief. She could do anything to make her Rukmini didi free from worries!

===================================
Meaning of Sanskrit/Indian words:

Shringara : dressing up /doing make-up to make one look beautiful

PranaNatha : Darling/beloved (male). Generally used for one's lover/husband.

Important Note:

Krishna Vaasudeva is an incarnation of Lord Vishnu/Narayana. Princess Rukmini is an incarnation of Goddess Lakshmi, consort of Lord Vishnu.