Chapter Fifty-Seven

Start from the beginning

"What happened?" she asked, her words slurring together as her hazy eyes looked up at me. I finally settled on brushing her hair back from her face, using the soft strands to ground myself. Finally, I found it in myself to speak.

"You had another seizure, babe," I explained softly, trying to keep my voice steady. If I freaked out, then she was going to freak out, and I didn't think her body could take any more excitement. I swallowed hard as I realized we didn't have a choice. She was going to have to fight tonight at sundown. And there was nothing I could do to help her. I was going to have to sit on the sidelines and watch her fight for her life. And there was nothing I could do.

"Another?" she asked, tearing me from my thoughts. "Why? What happened this time?" she asked, trying to sit up. My hands flew to support her in a sitting position. I grimaced and used a thumb to wipe the foam from the corners of her mouth. "Was it worse?" she asked, her voice soft and disbelieving.

"Yes; it was worse this time," I confirmed. "Kaage used you as a vessel; he possessed you," I told her. She remained quiet for a few seconds.

"H-how am I not dead?" she asked, her voice small and fearful.

"He only used a small portion of his power," I explained. "He used just enough power to channel his voice through you. He expects you on the roof of the academy at sundown. And I can't help you. It's between you and him," I said. She frowned at me, looking around at the crowd gathered around her. Her face went even more pale as her eyes met the sheet the medics had used to cover the body. Her jaw dropped open in shock, a hand coming to cover her mouth.

"Oh my God," she whispered, horrified.

"It was a warning," I muttered. "I can't help you tonight." She seemed to get what I was hinting at, and she nodded, her eyes still wide. "But, I can help you prepare," I told her. "I'm not going to let you go in there without support," I reminded her. She nodded.

"I need to call my father," she said, moving to stand up. I helped her to unsteady feet, looking to Angel. There was a grim look on his face.

"We have around four hours until sundown," he said, his voice hard. "I'll get someone to take a look over her in a private room as you call her family."

"I'll need to meet with Katsuro and Kitiara," (Y/N) said from beside me, my arm wrapped around her waist to support her, her legs still shaking slightly. "And I need to speak to Shura," she requested, looking up at the Palidain. "And Mephisto," she added after a moment of hesitation.

"We can do that, Miss (L/N)," he assured the girl beside me before turning to look at Lightning. "Take Miss (L/N) and Mr. Suguro to a private room, and have a doctor look over her," he demanded of his right hand. Lightning only nodded, gesturing for us to follow him. With my arm still wrapped around (Y/N)'s waist, we followed Lightning down a few hallways to a back room; Lightning assured us that we would not be bothered here. He told us he would be back with a doctor before leaving the room without another word.

I watched as (Y/N) took the ring's of her fingers, and in a split second the two twin demons were standing in front of us. "It's tonight; we don't have any more time," she said, cutting right to the chase.

"I figured," Katsuro said as he began to pace. Kitiara came up to me, placing her hands on my girlfriend's shoulders.

"We can handle this. All of you training has prepared you for this moment; you just need to be confident in yourself," the female demon said, her voice confident and strong.

"I need to call my dad and brother," she muttered before pulling her phone out, calling her father, and putting it on speaker.

"Hello?" a deep voice said from the other end of the line. As soon as Cole's voice sounded, (Y/N) erupted into sobs. I pulled my girlfriend to my chest as I started to speak to Cole, trying to explain what was happening over (Y/N)'s sobs. I took the phone off speaker, pressing the device to my ear as I explained the situation.