Chapter Seventeen

Look at that, I present to you 2 chapters in a week because I was productive for once. This chapter is mainly fluff because I needed it and it's cute. Comment and tell me what you want to see more of!

The clinking of cups on a wooden table top echoed through the room, accompanied by the sound of gentle breathing. The air was cool and still, almost relaxed despite the stress and uncertainty felt by the room's occupants. There was an uncomfortable tension and no one stepped forward to break the deafening silence.

The fleece blanket around my shoulders was warm, and I pulled it closer around me. Bon was to the right of me at the table, his arm also around my shoulder, his hand gently rubbing slow circles into my left shoulder. I had my attention focused on the cup of steaming green tea with peppermint it front of me. I hated it, but Mr. Okumura insisted it would make me feel better. Once those words had come out of his mouth, Bon had grabbed them and stuck to them. I hadn't said a word to him yet, but he knew what had happened at the training center.

There was a slight sigh before Bon spoke. "Do you want to talk about it?" he murmured softly. I shook my head and buried my face into my knees where they were pulled up to my chest. I was beyond embarrassed for having gotten sick in front of my boyfriend's father and family friend, and I was upset that this process of learning to use my swords was taking so long. I didn't understand why it was so difficult. I was frustrated that it took this much out of me. I was frustrated because I didn't feel deserving of wielding these legendary swords.

"(Y/N)," he began again. He sighed before continuing. "I know you might not want to talk about it yet, but can you listen to me for a minute?" I took a second to ponder his question before nodding hesitantly. "You're beating yourself up for something you can't control again," he stated bluntly. "You're amazing. You nearly summoned one of those demons on the first try," he said, squeezing my shoulder. "That is more than anyone could have expected. I mean, no one has been able to summon them yet; that makes you the first one." I heard a soft chuckle. "And don't worry about getting in sick in front of my dad and Yaozo; they've seen worse, much worse."

I put my hands over my head. "But it was so embarrassing," I croaked out into my knees. He chuckled again and patted my shoulder. "I'll never be able to face them again," I grumbled before lifting my head from my knees. I looked over at Bon so see him smiling that smile that I loved to see so much.

His sweet smile suddenly turned mischievous, and he grabbed me and pulled me onto his lap. I squeaked in surprise and grabbed at his shoulders, desperate to stabilize myself. He smirked as he looked down at me, and I smacked him on the shoulder, giving him a half hearted glare. "Don't do that again," I muttered, embarrassed once again.

"Did you brush your teeth?" he asked suddenly, confusing me.

"Y-yes," I answered hesitantly, remembering doing so when I got back to the dorms, wanting to rid the bitter taste of bile from my mouth.

The next thing I knew, one hand was gently cupping my face, and his lips were against mine. It shocked me at first, but I quickly melted into his soft lips. This kiss lasted only a few seconds, but it made my heart beat uncontrollably and my face turn a bright shade of red. There was a smirk on his face, and I scowled lightly at him. "T-that's not fair," I grumbled. He laughed and pulled me into his chest. I looped my arms around his and hugged him gently. "Thank you," I muttered.

"For what?" he asked, his voice barley above a whisper.

"Everything," I said through a sigh, leaning my cheek in his shoulder. We stayed that way for a little while, his arms around my waist, mine around his neck. "Bon?" I mumbled slightly as a piece of information made its way to the front of my brain.