Chapter Six

Please enjoy and leave a comment! I hope you enjoy this chapter!

Weeks passed and I began to feel more comfortable in cram school. I knew most of my teachers well enough and the cram school students were still nice. We had become more of a team for the most part, but like any team, there were still arguments. The first argument had been between Suguro and Rin which led me to my first experience with collective detention. Mr. Okumura had explained it and I could see the rational behind it, but that didn't make me any more happy about it.

Through the weeks of school, I felt more comfortable with being myself. I still tried my hardest to be patient, but I was more outgoing in class and on field missions. As I got acclimated to the class, my confidence level shot up and I could tell the other students and teachers noticed it. Shima and Rin had told me they noticed. I had originally been shocked, not noticing it myself, but they quickly assured me it was a good change.

I now got along better with the boys except for Suguro who still in insisted on pushing me away. He was nice during our tutoring sessions which were going quite well, but he was a totally different person in class. I wasn't sure what to think and I was trying to find enough courage to ask him.

I was currently sitting at a table with him in the library. I was beginning to understand the class and my grade was rising steadily. Suguro was allowed to see my grades and never mentioned stopping the lessons. I figured he would tell me when he thought I was ready. I was working on the homework silently while Suguro worked on his. He asked me to complete it on my own so he could check it and see what I knew.

"Hey, Suguro?" I wasn't sure where that came from, but I pressed on when Suguro hummed, telling me to continue. "Why don't you like me?" I asked, still unsure why I was asking him things such as this. Since when do I care what he thinks of me? One side of my argued. Don't kid yourself, you've always cared what other people think, even if it doesn't matter. The other countered. I seemed to have stunned Suguro to silence. "I mean, Shima said you see me as competition, but..." I trailed off not sure where I was going with this. I felt heat rush to my face. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have asked that," I stuttered.

"No, it's fine. It's understandable," he said, shocking me. "I just have a hard time trusting people, I guess. I didn't mean for it to come off as rude," he told me, scratching the back of his neck.

"Oh," I said. "Me too. Maybe that's why I was worried about if people like me or not." I looked up at him and his eyes silently told me to continue; that he wanted to understand. "I was bullied last year. Maybe that's why I care so much," I muttered, putting my head down. "I know I shouldn't, but I do." Why am I telling him all this? I barely know him! Maybe that's why it's so easy, to tell someone you barely know. There isn't the fear of losing them.

"Give me your phone," he demanded.

"Uh?" I said, looking up to see his hand extended. "Why?" I asked, suspicious of his intentions.

"I'm going to put my number in it," he said, like it was the most obvious thing in the world. "That way you can text me if you need to talk or if you need help with homework." I was shocked by this new side of the boy, but handed him my phone nonetheless. "Like you said, I'm not the most approachable person in the world," he began. Oh my gosh, he remembered that? "But you know as well as I do how much Mr. Okumura stresses that we're a team," he explained while typing his number and name in my phone. "We have to look out for each other, so if you have any problems, just text me." Once I got over my shock, I took my phone back and smiled at the older student.

"Thank you," I told him. We worked for a few minutes in a comfortable silence until we were both done with the homework. He looked over my answers and I only had two wrong.