Chapter Forty-Three

Heyo! I don't really have anything to say except drop a vote or comment. I hope you enjoy this chapter!

"This is stupid," I muttered, glaring at the covers that lay across my stomach. I had been sentenced to bed rest until we could figure out what was going on. We didn't want a repeat before Mephisto could get here. He was apparently at the Vatican in a very important meeting, and it would be difficult for him to get out, but it sounded like he was going to try his hardest which surprised me.

Yukio only sighed, his hand on my wrist as he tracked my pulse. Ryuji grumbled someone intelligible under his breath form his spot on my desk chair. For the past hour since Yukio called Mephisto, I had been stuck in bed, not allowed to leave unless I was feeling sick again or needed to use the bathroom, neither of which had happened. Torako has been in and out of the room throughout the hour, bring me anything I needed, be that water or a cold cloth. Anything.

"(Y/N)," Yukio murmured, breaking me from my thoughts. He held a thermometer out to me. I sighed and took the device, placing it under my tongue. He insisted on constantly checking my vitals because he had never dealt with anything like this before. He admitted he didn't know what to do, so he was doing what he could do. I jumped when the thermometer beeped, and Yukio took it from me. "Still good," he breathed, looking relieved.

A different beeping noise filled the air and Yukio took on his phone from his pocket. "Rest," he said before leaving the room, his phone at his ear. "Okumura here," I heard him say before he closed the door.

With a sigh, Ryuji made his way over my bed, perching himself on the edge. He gave me an obviously forced smile and ran a gentle hand through hair. "How do you feel? Really?" he asked softly, causing me to sigh heavily.

"Bon, I'm fine, really. I feel fine now," I said seriously, looking my boyfriend straight in the eyes from where I still reclined against my pillows. A dark eyebrow raised as he looked down at me. "Ryuji," I whined, putting a hand to my forehead. "I know you probably don't trust me after everything that happened, but I really am telling the truth," I said. A sad look came over his face, and he put a hand on my cheek. He leaned down and rested his forehead against mine, nuzzling his nose against mine.

"I trust you," he whispered, putting his cheeks against mine, his fingers threading through my hair gently. "I'm sorry for everything that happened," he apologized softly.

"Stop," I said. He pulled back from me, frowning deeply. I immediately pulled him back to me, kissing his chin, telling him I wasn't mad. "It was my fault. We both know that."

"(Y/N)," he murmured. "I'm not mad," he said, his lips brushing against my jaw, causing me to shiver. "I've put it behind me. You should too. I just worry about you is all." He planted a soft kiss under my ear before pulling back to look me in the eyes. His deep brown eyes gazed into my (E/C) ones. It was true what they said, that eyes were the doorway to the soul. I could see every emotion swimming in his eyes. I knew that he thought that he was so good at hiding his emotions, but one look in his eyes told me otherwise.

His hands stroked my cheek as he looked down at me, love in his eyes. "I want you to be safe. I want to protect you. I want to protect you from everything bad in his world. I'd give myself to protect you. You have such a bright future. You have so many opportunities. I'll protect you till my last breath," he vowed. Tears started to prickle at the corner of my eyes. I wrapped my arms around his neck and pulled him to me, his head coming to rest in the crook of my neck, his lips against my smooth skin. I shuffled over, and he slipped in the bed to lay next to me. "What did I do for you to let me into your life?" he asked quietly. I chuckled quietly.