Chapter Forty-One: Vantage Point

Start from the beginning

Harper exhaled, still gripping Victor's sides in an effort to protect herself from the now cancelled impact. "Never thought I'd be happy to hear his voice."

Victor backed up, and stared for a moment into Harper's eyes. She stared back.

"Don't look at me like that."

"Like what?" Harper pressed.

"This is a potential crisis. Don't make those puppy dog eyes at me."

Superman spoke once more. "Bad news, we have incoming. A hundred mechanical entities of some kind..."

Victor pushed to his feet, but before he could enter the conversation, the familiar voice of Firestorm beat him to the punch. "What? 'Mechanical entities'? We all know you won a Pulitzer space boy, they're robots."

"Hilarious, Ronnie." Clark sighed.

Harper recalled seeing his name on the list of League members currently onboard the Watchtower.

Victor laced himself into the channel, saying, "Firestorm, time to mobilise. A hundred hostiles are inbound; this is an all-hands on deck situation. Wonder Woman, Bastion, Supergirl, that means you too."

Those three were the only others already on the station, and if Harper had anything to say about it, would be absolute overkill for anything stupid enough to try attacking the Watchtower directly.

"Damn, would've heard it if it weren't for space not having any air in it." Supergirl called. "Be right there, cuz."

Wonder Woman declared, "As will I, Kal. Try to leave some standing for us."

Bastion barked, "Not sure why I'm going, considering my company...but sure. Moving to EVA airlock."

Firestorm acknowledged his understanding of the situation. "I'll bring the popcorn. I mean I'll make the popcorn out of nothing, because I can do that. That's my super power."

"Thanks. I was thinking, from your name, that you shot fire out of your hands... Your name sucks." Harper said.

"...Note to self, Cyborg's girlfriend is mean."

With that, Victor closed the channel and turned his attention back to Harper. "I need you to stay put. You're still recovering from the surgery...you're gonna be sluggish for a while."

Harper didn't like hearing those words, but she knew it was true. Even making the Model Val catch that ball was difficult with her migraine running rampant within her skull.

"I'll tell you what though...you can patch into my optics via your implant. Keep tabs on the situation. If it goes south, I'm gonna need you to evac."

She sighed and cocked her head. "I don't like this, Vic. Sitting around doing nothing..."

"You'll be operational in a day or two. You'll be fine. Now sit tight and don't do anything stupid."

Harper chewed on her bottom lip as Victor left, but just as he had suggested, she wasted no time in directing her new neural implant to patch into Victor's optics. This meant that anything that he saw was directly fed into her brain like a second line of sight. It was a strange sensation...like watching a screen inside of her head.

On this screen, she saw Victor rushing out of the Watchtower, cybernetics moving to shield his face like a helmet protecting him from the freezing vacuum of space. Surrounding him were the few Justice League members that had been immediately available (and that could withstand a fight in zero gravity); Wonder Woman, Supergirl, Superman, Firestorm, and Cyborg. There was also Bastion, Diana's partner, who was likely still somewhere inside the Watchtower...just like Harper. They would both be practically useless in a space battle.