Chapter Twenty-Four: Year Of The Quiet Sun

Themyscira had just been officially recognised as its own independent country, with the right to be represented in offical government meetings and decisions

Themyscira had just been officially recognised as its own independent country, with the right to be represented in offical government meetings and decisions. Every single channel was covering the story, with the small exception of a few that were tailored towards kids, and so finding a television station that wasn't presently celebrating this development was a difficult task. Harper had eventually given up on the search for a decent show, and instead left it on an interview with Wonder Woman in the background whilst she worked on her singularity inducer; with the hope of modifying it for research purposes instead of destructive.

The inducer was an incredible piece of technology, perhaps beyond her understanding. That wasn't going to stop her from at least attempting to crack it open.

"What will Themyscira's sovereignty mean to the rest of the world?" Harper heard one of the reporters ask Diana, and glanced up for long enough to see the impressive crowd of journalists. Among the plethora of faces, she saw the very familiar one of Clark Kent obscured by a thick pair of glasses and a hat that looked like it walked straight out of the 1950s. He was taking notes, but didn't look interested in asking any questions; he was obviously there to support Diana, more so than catching a good story.

"Primarily, it will mean that any attempts at invading or exploiting my country will harbour real legal consequences." Wonder Woman answered with all the eloquence expected of an Amazon princess.

Harper unscrewed the interior housings of several components of the singularity inducer, furrowing her brow. It wasn't often that she was stumped by technology, especially technology designed by a counterpart of hers. However, this was created by the progenitor a few years ago, and clones didn't receive the new memories of the original Harper Reid; probably because she didn't want them to know what she was scheming. It was fairly obvious that Harper specialised in mechanical engineering and not physics. Perhaps she needed to call Ray Palmer for help...

"Are there any plans for further outreach from your fellow Amazons? An embassy, perhaps?" The voice of a second reporter wavered a little louder above the crowd.

Diana shook her head. "My people are extremely reclusive and skeptical of the outside world, even more so than the Atlanteans. For now, being recognised as an independent nation and earning a seat in the United Nations is prize enough. Perhaps some time in the future, international relations will be considered."

"The people of Themyscira have been described as barbaric by many reporters and news outlets. What do you have to say about their fears of an Amazon invasion?"

Harper paused her work and lifted her eyes to the television screen once more. She looked for any sign of anger in Diana's eyes at such unfounded fears, but found none. She dropped her head and continued tweaking with the inducer's gravitational stabilisers as Wonder Woman replied "My Amazon sisters have lived in ecstasy for millennia. The only time we ever decided to enter Man's World was when it was threatened by Ares, God of War. As you know, it was none other than myself who embarked on that quest. If we wished to invade, we would have done so centuries ago."