Chapter Thirty-Eight: Tusks

Victor grimaced as he sprung into action and rushed to the central server stacks

If his consciousness hadn't been contained inside the simulation, he would've detected the intrusion straight away. As this stinging frustration lingered, Victor attempted to patch into the Watchtower comms system. There were other Leaguers onboard, if he mobilised their ranks they could all converge on the intruder and minimise his chances of escape.

Cyborg quickly found out that all communications had been blocked by precise levels of electromagnetic interference that most definitely couldn't have been cosmic background radiation. The intruder was jamming comms...not a feat to be taken lightly. Victor couldn't even get word to Earth about the Watchtower being compromised either. He had to take care of this on his own.

Minutes ticked by, and Victor arrived at the central computer mainframe to find that its bulkhead had been locked down. The massive door's reinforced window revealed the thief's identity; it was none other than the technological thief and mercenary Mikron O'Jeneus, A.K.A Gizmo.

Gizmo was hunched over a portable computer terminal as he watched a progress bar denoting the status of his data transfer. He was a very short man at about 4 feet 2 inches and was completely bald save for a thick brown beard on his face. He suddenly noticed Victor glaring through the sealed door and smiled back at him.

"Nice of you to finally notice me rummaging around in this server of yours. What kept you?" Gizmo mused calmly.

Cyborg instantly began chipping away at Gizmo's hold on the Watchtower's systems whilst masking his footprint so that the diminutive genius wouldn't be able to detect his presence. Victor pressed, "What the hell are you doing here, Mikron? Where's the rest of your crew?"

"You don't have to try to keep me distracted you know, it's obvious you're already running counter-intrusion on me. Pretty impressive actually, how your brainwaves are directly controlling those cybernetic implants. Anybody else would be too slow."

At that moment, Victor managed to gain enough access into Gizmo's terminal to see what exactly he was stealing. His face dropped.

Gizmo chuckled. "Do you want to know how much I'm getting paid to take that from you? To put it simply, it's enough to pay back the student debt from my ten degrees."

It was the Amazo Algorithm...the data that Victor and Harper both crusaded to protect from H.I.V.E. on their very first mission together. The programming was a critical component of an android called Amazo; a machine that could replicate metahuman powers after coming into contact with them. Victor knew it was far too dangerous to keep...and that's why he destroyed it. "This is impossible. I wiped the entire drive. Melted it to slag." He muttered.

"Unfortunately, I do not have the answer to your question. But what I do have is enough time to copy this data, burn the original, then leave." Gizmo dismissed.