Chapter Fifteen: Inner Demons

The road was long and never seemed to end

The road was long and never seemed to end. With each mile it extended even further, while the heat from approaching fire grew hotter on their faces. Harper had been fully incapable of walking even two steps without assistance, and so begrudgingly, Victor had decided to carry her on his back. At first he barely felt her there at all. She was so malnourished that it was like having a feather on the sleeve of his jacket; it simply wasn't enough to notice...but as the minutes turned to hours Harper's severely lacking body weight was starting to make his back ache.

"Sure you're alright? You can put me down if you're getting tired." Harper said in an unsteady voice. She hated how weak she sounded; like a fragile glass bird seconds away from breaking.

"And watch you fall over yourself again?" Victor huffed at the memory of her trying to walk on her own. She was like a newborn deer with only two legs to balance itself with. "You'll just slow us down."

Harper frowned. His intentions were good, they always were, but she hated that she had to rely on him to move from one place to the other. She couldn't think of anything worse. Especially with his current 'mightier than thou' attitude.

"You said that you know me?" Victor finally asked. He'd been avoiding this question for a while now, but it was bothering him. Victor met a lot of people in his day to day life, the perks of being a star athlete, but he rarely forgot their faces. "Have you come to a game or something?"

"I don't care much about sport, especially not Football." Harper answered in a drowning voice.

"I could tell. Maybe you'd be able to walk on your own if you cared a bit more." Victor murmured lowly, adjusting his hands to support more of her weight.

Harper's jaw tensed. "Sorry, I wasn't aware that throwing a ball around was a cure for certain death."

Victor's arms tensed around her legs, and it became clear that he somewhat regretted his words. He opened his mouth to express this guilt but he couldn't even get one word out before a blaze of hellfire erupted in front of them. Shocked, Victor dropped Harper on the pathway and scrambled backward; tripping over her in the process. From those spontaneous flames appeared a woman...no, a demon with skin of dark crimson and four eyes glaring in Harper's direction.

"Wh-What the hell is that?!" Victor yelled in fright, jumping back to his feet and running in the opposite direction. The demon vanished, then reappeared in his path.

"Calm down!" It shrieked, and that was enough to knock Victor back off his feet in terror. The sound of her voice, however, seemed to spark recognition within Harper.

"Is that you Raven?" Harper asked in obvious surprise. "Why do you look like that? I mean, don't get me wrong, the terrifying demon look suits you better than most but still..."

"This is all your fault." Raven hissed. "You went into my room without permission!"

"Well, I did knock." Harper quipped as she tried to stand up, but it was useless. Her legs simply gave way beneath her.