Chapter Thirty-Seven: False Alarm

Hyperion and Garfield Logan, who'd rather call himself Changeling or Beast Boy, appeared at the entrance of Titans Tower, both primed for combat

Hyperion and Garfield Logan, who'd rather call himself Changeling or Beast Boy, appeared at the entrance of Titans Tower, both primed for combat. Harper was manning the Model Val, which was moderately armoured and braced with heavy weapons. As she and Garfield swept their eyes through the lobby, they both felt uneasy.

"Uh...something isn't right, fam. Usually when the alarm goes off, there's like a giant hole in the building. But nope...no hole." Garfield quipped.

Harper grunted in amusement. "Not sure if you're using 'fam' ironically or un-ironically."

"Depends which one you want it to be, girl." He said with a smirk. "You know, I'm used to being told to focus or something right about now. You gonna do that?"

"Yeah, nah." Harper replied, peering through the darkness with the assistance of the flashlight mounted on the side of her helmet.

Beast Boy sniffed the air and cocked his head quizzically. "Bro...not even whiff of evil. This is whack. Can you like hit up the Titans upstairs?"

"Power's down, so no. Also, given that it's midnight, they're probably dead asleep."

Garfield groaned. "Could you maybe have used a different word?"

"What's wrong with 'asleep'?" Harper remarked with a chuckle.

The green-skinned young man laughed rather loudly to himself as he led Harper to the elevator. Garfield slapped the call button as Harper watched intently. Seconds passed, and Gar became greatly irritated by the fact that the elevator light did not turn on. He pressed the button about twenty more times in the span of five seconds.

"Logan."

"Yeah? What?"

"Power's out, mate."

Closing his eyes and inhaling sharply, Beast Boy appeared to have an internal panic attack. "Oh. Right." With a sigh, he hung his head and lumbered over to the stairs.

The immense stairwell was as dark as the lobby, prompting Garfield to morph into a barn owl and prop himself onto Harper's armoured shoulder. The Model Val was outfitted for combat, so it wasn't equipped with any low-light optics.

"This doesn't feel right, Harper. Lots of Titans live here...most of the real strong ones too. If some loser felt like jacking the place, they'd run into them...but I'm not seeing any starbolts or magic lassos flying around."

Harper, who had to quickly adjust to the fact that a green owl was speaking to her, agreed with his assessment. "I've been here for one of those, actually. And you're right."

Once they reached the top floor, Garfield leapt from his perch, switched to a gorilla form and stood by the door. Harper armed her guns and brought them up. Garfield looked at Harper, nodded, then raged forward into the door.