Chapter Thirteen: Salem's Lot

Victor had a great deal of things on his mind at the moment

Victor had a great deal of things on his mind at the moment. They included pinpointing structural weaknesses in the body armour of the A.R.G.U.S. troopers desperately trying to take him down with assault rifle fire, applying the appropriate force required to decommission them, and of course, trying to figure out why he trusted Harper not to sell him out. The fact that his organic brain was linked to additional processing systems meant that combat became second nature to him; fighting a foe that he had already archived and analysed was as simple as initiating pre-programmed pathways. For Victor, his focus was his rage.

The heavy-duty electromagnet incapacitated him. It disabled most of his hardware, but he still remained in a lucid state. Everything that happened afterwards, including the fact that Harper had a peaceful conversation with the A.R.G.U.S spook called Zirrosinski, was fresh in his mind. He knew that this whole shindig was a set up...but he also knew that someone deactivated the magnet in order to allow him to escape.

Several seconds passed, and the room was cleared. The Cyborg fought so efficiently that the commanding officer of the squad ordered a full retreat into the other wings of the A.R.G.U.S. facility; anybody who wasn't injured was tasked with dragging everyone else out of Victor's warpath. With this newfound peace, Victor tethered himself into the building's network to find that another external entity was already plugged in; Harper's Model Val. He easily opened a backdoor into the suit's computer and spliced into its secure data. Just like that, he had access to its current location, operational status, and executed command history.

According to the command log, it was Harper who manually disabled the electromagnet holding Victor in place. She, noted as being inside the Model Val right now, was on her way to Victor's last known location. He frowned, thinking that he was going to have quite the conversation with her.

Being tied into the A.R.G.U.S. network meant that Victor was able to hack into their secure servers and discover what Harper did only moments ago; that they were experimenting on live parademon subjects. This was not only unethical, but dangerous. Victor knew that he was a fluke, a freak accident. He ran the simulations. There was a 4.29% chance of success when utilising that kind of technology on human physiology; his father just got lucky...and Victor got unlucky. Before he was going to leave, Victor wanted to make sure this entire facility went down in flames.

He pushed to a sprint, faster than any human athlete, as he mapped a path to several structural supports on his level. If he planted high-powered charges at these four points on his current level and detonated them simultaneously, the whole building would collapse in on itself. Amanda Waller would be hard pressed to salvage anything from a wreck like that; Victor was saddened by the fact that he wouldn't able to see the look on her face for himself.

Victor reached the first structural weak spot without much resistance, ejected a remote plasmic charge from his palm, and fixed it to the wall. A blast of this kind would be absolutely devastating to any human life, so he made sure to open a direct channel to Zirrozinski. "You and your cronies have ten minutes to evacuate the building before I blow this place to hell."