Chapter Thirty-Three: Chariots Of Fire

A buzzing noise filled Harper's ears and she felt like she was lying there in Victor's arms for hours, fading and waking and fading and waking

A buzzing noise filled Harper's ears and she felt like she was lying there in Victor's arms for hours, fading and waking and fading and waking. Her agony was the only thing keeping her alive. It was the only thing she could feel anymore. She remembered being rushed into S.T.A.R Labs, assuredly because her injuries were inflicted by supers and this place was the only one equipped to deal with such matters. The building was as cold as dead skin, the hallway crowded with scientists and doctors, but reeking of illness.

The memories came in flashes. She would lose consciousness for an undetermined amount of time before waking up again for a few brief moments. Her next recollection was after arriving in a seperate room, with a doctor leaving with a notepad full of notes and Victor watching over her like a protective guardian. He held her hand in his own, and though the metal was usually cold, it felt warm to her dwindling body. She wanted to reach towards him and beg Victor to extend that warmth to the rest of her, but she couldn't move or speak. She could only stare at the dull, white ceiling.

"I'm gonna go talk to my pa." She heard Jessica Kent's voice floating through the air, somewhere far off, in a time and place that she could no longer determine. "Then I'm gonna turn myself in...I'm so sorry about what they did to her, Vic."

"She'll be alright, but that's only thanks to you stopping the others when you did." Victor answered, and suddenly Harper realised that he was no longer holding her hand. He hadn't been for a while. He was on the other side of the room, but she didn't remember seeing him get up or hearing him step around the bed. "Are you sure you want to turn yourself in? We have no prisons that could hold you...if you do this, you'll have to be disciplined enough to stay there by your own will."

"I'm sure." Jess replied without a shred of reluctance. "It took a while, but I've finally realised that I've become someone that I really don' wanna be. Besides, I won' be alone. Dionysus and a few others agree that this has gone too far."

"Well...good luck. I'm sure your mother would be-" Victor's voice suddenly drifted into the background. He kept talking, Harper could hear the slight lilt of his voice, but she couldn't make out what he was saying.

She blinked. At least, that's what it felt like. In reality she wasn't sure what had happened or how much time had passed, all she could really determine was that once she opened her eyes Jess was no longer there and Victor was back at her side. She still couldn't move but the old television blared it's Cathode rays throughout the room. From that small box she heard the familiar voice of Superman say "Good Afternoon."

Harper willed her body to move, but it wouldn't respond - as if it were still asleep and her mind was left to drift in and out of consciousness. With the last of her effort she tried to at least avert her gaze from that wretched white ceiling, and finally succeeded. Her green eyes drifted to the television and she saw a sight that filled her with relief. The Justice League stood addressing a crowd of reporters...well, some of them. Superman was in front, as always, with a dozen microphones all being held up towards him. With the sunlight of Metropolis beaming down on him once more, he looked a little younger than he had at the farm. His long hair had been cut, and though the grey streaks still remained on either side of his temple, that signature curl had returned to grace his forehead. His costume was relatively the same, except the 'S' was decorated with a black background instead of white.