eighteen

it was a sleepless night for jack and francesca and it would mark the first of many since they had been dealing with contractions for the past sixteen hours. they were a massive pain in the fact that they hurt like hell but they weren't frequent enough for francesca to go to hospital.

"are you sure it's the real thing?" jack asked, his voice laced with fatigue. the brunette girl had told him several times to get some rest because there was no point in them both being tired when the baby came but jack couldn't. he couldn't sleep knowing that his girlfriend was in so much pain and there was nothing that he could do about it.

"i'm not sure about anything right now. i don't know anything about childbirth because i have two gay dads!" francesca yelled, feeling another wave of pain hitting her. she inhaled deeply, hoping that breathing exercises would help but they weren't. not in the slightest.

"shit, yeah. we're totally unprepared." the brummie boy realised as he rubbed his girlfriend's back, hoping that it would give her some sort of comfort through the stress of the situation.

"fuck me." the young girl panted as her contraction finished, exhaling deeply and trying to take a minute to relax.

"i did and that's why we're here." jack mumbled, earning himself a glare from francesca. she was exhausted and in pain, she did not need her boyfriend to be making jokes about the situation anymore.

"fuck it, i'm taking you to the hospital. this has been going on for too long now." jack made the executive decision to ignore the advice of the nurses over the phone and take his pregnant girlfriend into the hospital for she was in too much pain for his liking. neither of them knew what to do or even what was going on. in his mind, it was better for them to be in a hospital environment where they could be giving medical attention if they needed it.

the footballer helped his girlfriend waddle to the car and strapped her in before making a short drive to the nearest hospital.

the entire drive jack had been tapping his fingers nervously on the steering wheel. he didn't care if any paparazzi saw them anymore because he only wanted to keep the pregnancy private, he couldn't wait to show off his child to the world. he was nervous because childbirth is massive. he'll be a dad in a few hours and that scared him slightly. he wanted to be the best father that had ever lived. he would do everything that he could to protect this baby and its mother but at the same time, he wasn't sure how he would do it. he also knew that babies put a lot of strain on new relationships and jack really hoped that his relationship with francesca wouldn't change much after they met their baby.

"i love you," jack blurted out when they stopped at a red light, the thoughts of the woman next to him becoming too much for him to keep to himself.

"i know that i haven't really said it before but i thought we both kind of knew but i wanted to tell you that i really do love you, franny. more than words can say." he was rambling again, something he did when he was nervous. jack was feeling too many emotions for his brain to handle at the moment.

"i know," a fatigued francesca turned to her boyfriend and she placed her hand over his that was resting on his thigh whilst he was waiting for the red light to change.

"i know that you love me because actions speak louder than words but since we're saying things that we mean, i love you too. a lot more than i expected to." she laughed for a short second, wincing when she felt another contraction coming.

jack was over the moon. everything in his life had somehow fallen into place and he couldn't quite believe it. he picked up her hand and lifted it to his mouth, pressing a chaste kiss to her knuckles before dropping it again so he could release the handbrake and continue the drive to the hospital.