Chapter 3 - There's Something About Heather

I walk out of the music hall with Harrison when the session ends. Grant and Charles are ahead of us and talking about the Milwaukee Panthers. We've got half an hour of free time before we have to head to the performance area.

"So, where in Chicago do you live?" I ask Harrison when we get outside.

"Forest Park," he tells me.

"Get out, I live in Oak Park." Oh, please tell me he'll be in a band with me. "Are you interested in being in a rock band?"

Harrison grins at me, "Um, yeah. Why do you think I'm here?"

"Your bass is awesome, dude. Have you been in a band before?"

"Not really. I came here last year and made an epic band for the performance but nobody lived in Pittsburgh, so I didn't bother getting anyone's details." He shrugs.

"Wait, you lived in Pittsburgh? When did you move?"

"Right after camp ended. My dad got offered a job in Chicago. I was bummed because there was this dude, Gabriel, from Chicago that was in my group. He was awesome as a lead singer." Harrison sighs.

I roll my eyes. "You're not going to believe me, but I know him."

"Really?" Harrison's eyes light up with excitement. "If we're making a band, we should get him to join us."

"Uh, no. The dude is a douche." I shake my head.

Harrison frowns. "Really? Are you sure we're talking about the same guy?"

"Gabriel Knight? Blond hair? Blue eyes? Looks a bit like he should be on the cover of a magazine or something."

"Yeah, that does sound like him. I didn't realize the magazine cover thing until you said it," Harrison looks amused, "but you're totally right."

"He's here this year, too, but you couldn't pay me to be in a band with him." I frown at him.

"I don't get it, he was really cool. I've told Heather about him so many times."

"I go to school with him. He's super uptight and a total teacher's pet. Not rock star material." I shrug.

Harrison gives me an odd look. "What makes someone rock star material, then?"

"I don't know. They have to be cool. And good at music. And not Gabriel Knight."

"I'm getting the feeling that you really don't like him." Harrison laughs. "So have you been playing guitar long?"

"Since I was eight, you?"

"I started guitar at six but tried out the bass just after my seventh birthday. Someone said they didn't think I'd be able to play it because I was too young but I loved it and I never switched back. Heather says it's just because I'm so tall that I'm the perfect bass player," Harrison tells me.

I raise an eyebrow at him. "Okay, who's Heather?"

He's mentioned her twice, now, in the last couple of minutes. If she's his sister, then they're creepy close.

"She's kind of my best friend."

"Friend zoned, huh?" I grin at him.

"What? No. It's not like that. We're just friends."

"Sure. Got a pic?" I'm curious what this 'just friend,' looks like.

Harrison shrugs and pulls out his phone. He shows me a picture of a blond girl and I'm impressed. It's not a great picture and the quality is terrible but she definitely looks all right.