PART 18 | tough gal

Start from the beginning

Shaking my head I softly say, "You seem so happy when you talk about Surfing. As if nothing else in the world could ever matter more."

Kennedy just looks at me, her head cocked to the side. "It's so unnatural to me when you're serious."

Chuckling, I tell her, "It's a once in lifetime thing, don't get used to it."

Now it's her turn to ask me. "What about basketball? Did your parents teach you?"

My grip on the steering wheel tightens. "I don't want to talk about them."

She must realise the question hit a sore spot, so her tone of voice changes to something more calming and soothing.
"Why?" Was all she asks.

I can't look at her. So I keep my eyes steady on the road.

Silence grows again. Should I tell her? Or more like Do I want to tell her?

I decide to just tell her. And anyways, I feel like I should. "Cancer took my mother, and my father has never been the same since."

I try to keep the emotion hidden from my face. But Kennedy brings it out when she places her hand on my knee.

Her warmth flows through me and I can tell by her silence, that she's listening.

I take a deep breath and speak, "I was 15 when she died. After that my father grieved every day and busied himself with drinking and work. He came to forget about me, and how I was young and never delt with grief before. I was in our big house all alone for those years, though every so often he'd come home late at random nights, yell at me for the partying I'd been doing and the girls I'd been doing, but it was just how I came to deal with the loss because I had no guidence. It was the only way I could forget."

She squeezes my knee slightly, causing me to look over at her.

With the moonlight shining through the window, shadowing parts of her face. I see my mum in Kennedy. Not just physically but mentally too. "You remind me of her."

Her eyes widen a little, "I do?"

The corners of my mouth turn upwards. "She was beautiful, and tough. She always knew what to say at the right times."

Kennedy laughs gently. "I'm not beautiful and I don't say things at the right times."
Then she looks up at the roof thinking for a second. "Though I am a tough gal."

I grin and turn into the Food Garage carpark. "Your beautiful to me," I mumble under my breath.

"WASSUP WILLY!" Someone comes up and bangs on the car window just as I shift it into park.

I groan. "Guys my name is not Willy."

Kennedy gets out of the car. "It is to us," she winks.

Jersey and King are standing beside my car while Julie, Michelle and Hayley are off to the side whispering about something. Kennedy joins them.

"Last one inside pays for the food!" Shouts Kingston, the king of eating.

Me and Jersey race inside after him, the girls soon following in behind.

We take a seat at the closest booth, the girls joining us.

I watch with a raised eyebrow as Kennedy pushes Julie into the seat next to Jersey then Michelle hurry's in beside her.

It's as if they're trying to get them back together.

King and I exchange a look. He must be  thinking the same thing.

"Congrats on the first win guys!" Hayley said as Kingston holds out an arm for her to come sit with him.

"Thanks, but Jersey was the one who broke the tie," I say and nod toward Jersey.

"Yeah, outstanding lay up dude!" Kingston slaps him on the shoulder.

Jersey grins and puffs out his chest. "I did do pretty well aye?"

The girls all nod.

"I haven't seen you play in ages," Julie mumbles.

Everyone's eyes widen and our mouths drop open. That's the first time Julie has willingly talked to Jersey in years.

Jersey clears his throat awkwardly and looks down at her. "Um th-thanks."

Beside me I see Kennedy and Michelle fist bump under the table. Is that what they were whispering about? Did they tell her to finally speak to him?

Julie looks up at Jersey. She looks sad.

Kingston and I look at each other both our expressions filled with guilt.

We knew how much he loved her and she must've loved him the same.

"Can we talk?" Jersey said his voice low and directed only to Julie. Though we could all hear him.
Julie looks at Michelle and Kennedy, who look back at her gesturing for her to go with him.

They slide out of the booth together, and head out to the car park.

A/N: next chapter is Julie's P.O.V!!!!