chapter thirty seven

Third person POV (unknown)

"Ma'am, everything is set," Clara said to her madam who was combing her synthetic hair while looking at herself in the mirror.

Madam Toriola turned to her with a smile.

"Okay then, let's get going," she said as she picked up her white cross bag that perfectly matched her short Ankara gown.

They descended the stairs with Toriola taking a good look at the house, she would surely miss this place.

After taking a satisfying look, she locked the door and entered the car alongside Clara who sat at the back with her daughter to which Clara was the nanny. Seconds later, the driver drove out of the compound as they headed to the airport in silence.

Halfway to the airport, the car came to an halt as masked men and woman appeared in front of the car. Fear gripped everyone of them.

The nanny held the daughter tightly as Toriola kept glancing at the back while the driver raised his hand in surrender.

"Come down" , the chubby one out of the armed men hollered as they all did as he said.

"Where is the money?" the only woman amongst them hollered while pointing a gun at Toriola.

"There... there's no money," Toriola stuttered and before she could blink a bullet pierced through the driver's chest and he went limp.

"Aah," Toriola and Clara screamed and shrieked respectively and in unison while trembling as they gazed at the driver in a pool of his blood.

"Now, bring out the money!," a lanky man bellowed and as Toriola stood up with a trembling feet, the blazing siren of the police was heard as it filled the air. Seems they were on a patrol 'cause no one could have called them and even if they were, they wouldn't have arrived that early. It's not in our police's characters.

Toriola turned back with a triumphant smile as the chubby man grabbed her arm with a gun pointed on her forehead as ordered her to take him to where the money is.

"It's getting closer," the only woman shouted as she quickly collected the wallet with Clara before getting into their car.

The chubby man cursed and before Toriola could blink, a bullet went into her and she fell limp.

"Ahh," Clara screamed while covering the baby's face, the robbers car sped off as Clara kept on wailing while shaking Madam Toriola.

The siren became faint as she wondered where the police were 'cause their car was not in sight, seems they weren't actually coming to save them.

Hearing the voice of Toriola's daughter, she picked her up and went to the boot where she carried her stuffs and the toddlers things, the place was as silent as a graveyard and there was no soul on the street, and this got Clara more frightened.

She looked down at the driver and Toriola whom had stopped breathing, practically gone dead as she headed to nowhere but just trudging through the bush. There was nothing on her except few notes, she didn't know where Madam Toriola had kept the supposed money but one thing she was sure about was that Madam Toriola didn't actually carry any money with her, the armed robbers were wrong and they only wasted her life and the driver's.

She kept on walking and walking with the toddler straddled to her back and the baggage on her left hand, she didn't know any place her leg would carry her, she'd only come to Ibadan to work, she had actually grown up in Ekiti in an orphanage home which had left after her secondary school education.

Finally, she got out from the bush and saw a busy road, where would she go? Different thoughts raced in her mind as she felt her stomach grumbling, the only food in her stomach was the rice she ate earlier in the morning and the sun was already scorching.

On getting into the busy road, she walked into a park before proceeding to a bread stall after having  decided to go to the woman who was smiling at a lady.

"Good afternoon ma," she greeted immediately the lady left.

"Afternoon beautiful lady, how can I help you?" the willowy woman who was really pretty was questioned while never concealing her beautiful set of white teeth, she ought to be a model and not someone selling Bread in a park.

"How much is your bread ma?" she queried while looking at them. She didn't know how much it was being sold because she'd only been in Ibadan for a few months.

After she left the orphanage, she started staying with her friend, a classmate of hers then. She was only eighteen then and at such had to live off her friend. Tara, her friend worked as an harlot and tried introducing Clara to it but she was bent on not taking a filthy job like that, weeks later, she got employed as a sales girl but the pay wasn't much so she had no other choice but to look for a better job.

A year later, she got employed as a nanny through the connection of the owner of the shop she was working as a sales girl. Madam Toriola was the woman's friend and she was in need of a nanny then, so the woman recommended her and after some discussions, she was employed.

Ever since her employment, she never left the house except when going to church and that's mainly the reason she didn't know any where in Ibadan.

"I'll take the #100 own," she said as the woman smiled before giving it to her.

"Your daughter is such a beauty," the woman complimented while giving her the bread.

"Thanks ma," she collected the bread and pointed a #500 note at the woman who later gave her the change.

She smiled at the woman before taking a step but she decided to turn back, "Ma, do you know any bank around here?"

"Yeah, it's just down the street"

"Thanks," she left and stayed under a tree as she rummaged through her bag for the ATM card, thank goodness, she'd just received her salary, minutes later, she walked to the ATM stand, luckily, it was only a lady that was there so it was easy for her to withdraw money quickly.

After the withdrawal, she decided to go back to the Bread seller so far she was in need of accommodations.

"Ha, we have a vacant room in our place, if you don't mind," the bread seller replied and Clara heaved a sigh of relief, at least there was somewhere she could stay.

The woman offered her a bench, after sitting, she brought out the bread and ate it with the toddler, the bread seller offered her a sachet water, later in the day, the woman took her to her house which was more or less a slum but she had no choice so far she couldn't possibly go back to Madam Toriola's place, it was impossible.

After negotiation, she paid the rent and the bread seller who she later found out was Iya Timi took her to the room, it was a very small room filled with cobwebs but she could manage, after cleaning, Iya Timi offered her a mat.

The armed robbers could see the police car behind them and the only lady who was the driver, she was an adroit in driving, sped off while the other guys kept exchanging bullets with the police officers, the bullet grazed her hand and she lost control, the car tumbled few times until it finally stopped.

After the police officers realized what had happened, they got down from their car and approached the scene after reporting the case and calling for ambulance. Searching the dead robbers, the only thing they found was their guns and Clara's wallet which included few notes and her National Identity card.

Madam Toriola and her driver were both rushed to the hospital but the driver had given up the ghost while Toriola still had a slim chance of surviving. Immediately, she was wheeled into the surgical room.

Lanre could hear his phone ringing, after the second ring, he picked up.

"Hello, your wife got into an accident and is currently in the hospital undergoing surgery," a man announced.

"What!" Lanre screamed as he dropped the phone in fright.

Immediately he placed a call to his PA and ordered him to book an urgent flight to Nigeria, he must leave UK before the end of the day.

TEENS ON POINT☑️जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें