Six

"A PENNY FOR your thoughts?"

       Watching the passing vehicles at the foot of our building from my stand, I turn my gaze to Vera as I exclaim, "Jesus, Vera!"

       There's Vera wearing cream slacks and her cropped cream coat is open, revealing her white spaghetti strap. She takes off her coat and lays it on the armrest of my sofa. Her hot coffee is on the coffee table in front of her while standing in front of me, amusement flashed on her face.

       I didn't even know that Vera is coming here to my office, but I have to worry more about this familiar feeling that still appears strange to me. I should be scared but why am I not? A part of me is loving how this strange-familiar thing makes me feel.

       "I saw Morpheus dropped you. My ship is sailing!" Vera exclaims. It is as if she has been waiting for it to happen for a long time now—waiting for me to finally have a relationship.

       I frown. "Why are you here, Vera?" I ask and sit down in my swivel chair.

       She raises her left eyebrow at me like she's wondering why I just asked her that.

       "You already forgotten about your dear friend after Morpheus dropped you here? You'll just drop our friendship just like that, Siena?" she says, overacting.

       "Cut it out," I say. Vera doesn't come to my office this early. I already know her routine and whenever she came here by to my office, it's always the same time. If not lunch, it's every afternoon break or after she goes home.

       She's trying to hold back a smile.

       "Just tell me why you're here. You know, I'd never seen you come by here in my office this early that's why I know something is up. Cut to the chase, Vera."

       She just gave me you're being ridiculous look and then drinks on her cup of hot coffee that is filled to the brim of her cup.

       "Siena, you're being mean. For what?" She breathes heavily. "I just want to have a sleepover in your place for, uhm, one week. You know... especially that Morpheus and you, happened. Meaning, you'll spend less time on me."

       My forehead creases.

       I never get used to Vera acting like this. It's very rare for Vera to show affection and asking for a request so I can't deny her. I also want to have someone living with me in my place. My place has been so empty.

       "Yes, of course, Vera."

       "But why were you mean earlier? For what, Siena?"

       I just laughed at her and went back to my swivel chair to continue the work that I left earlier because I was contemplating the strange feeling inside me at the same time looking at the passing vehicles.

       She sits down on my single sofa bed and takes a magazine from my magazine holder placed next to my sofa. Vera's every flip to the magazine page is heard all over my office.

       "Hmm... looks like Morpheus are fond of girls having that deep red shade of tint on their lips," Vera utters as she looks in my direction. I just keep my eye on my screen's monitor but I can still see Vera's amused face on my peripheral vision.

       I frown as I stare at my screen's monitor and avoid looking in Vera's direction. I'm a hundred percent convinced that she will tease me about how that thing affects me.

       I'm literally losing my mind right now.

       "And oh! He also has an interview here!" Vera exclaims, referring to Morpheus' interview in a popular magazine.