# Fifty Eight

My mind started wandering and I got to the topic of prom (we call it matric farewell)...

All these Wattpad girls have these 'stop and stare' moments. You know, where she enters the room and everyone looks at her, because she's just that gorgeous?

I think that is a bit of an exaggerated reaction.

So, I'm not trying to sound cocky or anything, but I want to support my opinion with my own matric farewell story.

All through high school, I was always the girl in shorts and a t-shirt. My hair was always in a ponytail and I usually wore flip flops. Obviously I'd dress up for like the Valentines Ball and so on, but then I just wore a simple dress (that also didn't really stand out), loose hair, light makeup and flats.

So, in matric, I had a dress made for the farewell (I can confirm, some girls really put on a dress and have this 'this is the one' moment...we just had one made, because the one I fitted was too big for me), got high heels (which I dreaded wearing and had to practice walking in) and all that, without ever showing anyone how it looks.

Fast forward to our matric farewell...I was dressed in my bright red dress, with my high heels. My hair was curled and I had my nails and makeup done for it. Again, I can confirm that I felt great and I felt super confident.

We get there and I was just focused on me. I got a lot of compliments, my one friend's girlfriend who was always super chill with me hanging out with him, refused to leave his side when he talked to me and not gonna lie, I had three people saying 'oh wow, I didn't even recognize you' after I greeted them (despite only wearing light makeup, because I still wanted to look like me). That was about it...no stop and stare moment.

A few weeks later I found out that most of the people there were talking about how I looked and how I really stood out that night...the point is that you won't necessarily get the stop and stare moment regardless of how good you look.

Maybe if the character is really tuned in to what people think of her, she'll notice people looking at her during the night, but everyone is not going to leave everything to stare at you when you walk in.

Also, people will compliment her (especially if she doesn't usually dress up), but you'll also get silly remarks from your friends. 'Wow, you are actually wearing a dress', 'I was sure you'll come on shorts', 'Are you actually wearing makeup?', 'I'm sorry, but it's really weird seeing you wear makeup' and so on and so forth.

Just to prove my point on the stop and stare bit...one of the girls arrived late and walked in when they were busy with the speeches or when we had our appetizers (I can't remember). We looked up, because we were seated by the door and she walked past us, most other people didn't even realize she came in.

If coming late (and looking stunning, because wow, her dress was gorgeous) won't even get you noticed...why will a Wattpad character merely stepping in have that effect?

Unless her dress maybe sends out silent signals that make people turn their heads in its direction...who knows.

And finally...the DJ won't freaking stop the music for you. You're not that important.

* * *

Do you agree?
Do you not agree?