𝗕𝗲𝗻 𝗖𝗮𝗿𝘁𝗲𝗿- 𝗥𝗲𝗺𝗲𝗺𝗯𝗲𝗿 𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗧𝗶𝗺𝗲?

NOTE: Written back in 2020, been sat in my drafts for 3 years, might as well just publish it.

——————-

2003

Currently, I was sat in Byker Grove Youth Centre with a glass of water minding my own business. Usually I was quite the social butterfly but today I wasn't particularly feeling it.

Regina had come in to check on me at some point so had Akili, but I'd insisted I was fine- they knew me well enough to know I wasn't going to change my mind and that I'd come out when I wanted to.

I'd had an argument with my parents- they wanted me to go to University down in London. I didn't want to go, to be that far away from my friends, from my boyfriend Ben.

But, my parents were stubborn basically forcing me to go to the point where they sent off the application forms without my consent, when they told me I was pissed, wouldn't you be? I'd got in, but I don't care, my feelings don't matter apparently because they're forcing me to go.

We shouted for a good while until I stormed out and headed here, my phone had been ringing like crazy, it was Ben.

I wasn't going to answer it, No doubt someone told him I'd come here- probably Eve or Regina- and he was worried about me, especially since I'm on my own- but I just don't want him to fuss or worry him with the possibility of me leaving him. I haven't told him anything about this yet, I'd only found out today anyways, so I still need to process the situation.

Nobody seemed to bother me after about an hour and a half, and my phone had stopped going crazy. It was silent, which let my mind run wild with the many possibilities of the future.
Half an hour of so passed before I heard footsteps coming closer to where I was sat, I didn't bother to turn around, maybe they'd leave me alone.

However, I heard as the person enters the room walks closer to me before gently sighing. "You weren't answerin' your phone"

I close my eyes for second before opening them again and shaking my head. "Sorry, just not feeling great today"

Ben then slid in next to me. "What's the matter?"

"Nothing-"

"Y/N, don't. Just tell us, I'm worried about ya"

Reluctantly, I turn to Ben- who looked almost scared to hear what I had to say especially when he saw the tears forming in my eyes- I wasn't an overly emotional person, I was pretty personal about emotions and so was Ben. We only showed our true emotions to eachother in private, never in public. "I'm going to university"

Bens eyebrows raise confused at why I was so upset. "What's so bad about that? Uni's only a few miles away."

A tear escapes my eye as I utter "In London"

I should have known Ben wouldn't react well to this without being given context because his face morphs into a betrayed expression "And ya never thought to tell me?!"

Exasperated, I run a hand down my face. "Please, just don't, calm down-"

"Calm down?! Ya gotta be kiddin' me, you expect me to be calm after tellin' us ya gonna leave us!" Ben growls. I try to explain the situation but Ben has a hot temper and doesn't let me get a word in edgeways- he looked at me before shaking his head, glancing me up and down in disgust. "Ya know, I don't care! Go! Glad to know I meant so much to ya!" He then turns around and storms out.

Quickly, I grab my phone from the table and run after him. "Ben! Ben!" I called out as I got closer to him. After he didn't turn around I called him again, quieter this time while grabbing his arm, turning him to face me "Ben"