Hard to Love

Kara was just leaving CatCo when Alex called her and said that there was some trouble involving the team of the Waverider. She knew what that meant, it meant more or less that there was 𝒔𝒐𝒎𝒆𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈 the team wasn't equipped for and whether she liked it or not, Sara was asking for help.

"Are you sure? I mean. . . What about one of the others— Barry or Kate—" Kara bit her lip, hoping her sister would throw in her own suggestion because the only other one that the Kryptonian could think of, was dead. He was dead and the one asking for Kara's help currently, had just as much disdain for the super as he did when they all first met. It was strange, she didn't know what changed Sara's perspective on Kara, but it seemed like out of the blue she started to really— 𝒉𝒂𝒕𝒆 her or something.

Any time Kara was around, Sara would make every effort to be somewhere else, to avoid looking at or even speaking to the Kryptonian. They'd seemed to be getting along great in the beginning, becoming amazing friends who kicked ass together, then this cold shoulder and Kara couldn't figure out what she'd done wrong.

"No, Kara, they need 𝒚𝒐𝒖 specifically. It's a little out of Barry's expertise. . ." That didn't sound like it boded well, but it had to be more her jurisdiction for Sara to even consider calling.

Kara said nothing else, just hung up and ripped off her glasses after stepping into an alley, then shot off up to the sky; heading straight for the D.E.O. By the time she was there, her suit had already formed around her frame, replacing her mild mannered reporter disguise. Alex was there to greet her, giving her the rundown of the situation.

Rogue aliens; they were something of a comeback since the fear and hate Agent Liberty sewed had been wiped away by Oliver's reset. They were essentially kicking the Legends' asses and even when Kara showed up, it took them all working together to take them down.

With them all defeated, Kara took each back to the D.E.O. only to be forced to return for Sara, "My sister says it's for a standard debrief, just to be sure they have all the details. I'll bring you right back soon as she's done." She mumbled while keeping her gaze away from the captain of the team, the team who was looking anywhere else but them; did they sense it too? Were they going to blindly follow Sara's lead and hate Kara as well?

"Fine." The shorter blonde answers curtly and stands expectantly with her arms crossed, but Kara was too afraid to step toward her. Finally, baby blues roll clockwise, "Am I going to have to throw myself into your arms, Super, or are you going to pick me up?" Curiously, Kara's heart stuttered before returning back to its normal rhythm, then swallowing a lump in her throat, she took a step forward and scooped Sara up bridal style.

It didn't take long to fly back, and when she touched down on the balcony, she expected for Sara to immediately leap out of the Kryptonian's arms. Instead, she waited patiently for the super to set her down gently, before walking off inside.

Kara didn't follow, instead, she stayed right where she was, trying to figure out where things went wrong. What could she do to fix it, because she wanted it back, she wanted 𝑺𝒂𝒓𝒂 back. The woman who Kara had so easily been able to befriend, that she enjoyed every conversation no matter how minor, the mere presence of her brought the Kryptonian a sense of joy. Not this strained relationship that had Kara wound into a ball of anxiety.

Nearly an hour later, and the short blonde had returned. In all that time, Kara couldn't figure it out. She'd gone over their last good moment together in her head repeatedly, but all she could remember was Kara telling Sara jokingly how sorry she was that the canary got stuck with the super. Sara'd had a weird look on her face, like Kara'd insulted someone dear to her, but she was smiling when she told the Kryptonian "I'm the Paragon of Destiny remember? Us? We're fated, Hope and Destiny kind of go hand in hand. . .so don't go trying to get rid of me."

After that, Sara went cold.

"Do you hate me or something?" Kara blurts out suddenly, mentally beginning to kick herself as the anxiety flooded through her, fear of the answer.

Sara looked genuinely surprised, it had stopped her in her approach and made her look as though she'd just been shaken out of a trance she'd been long under. "What?" Her voice was quiet, it wasn't cold or abrupt like normal— the 𝒏𝒆𝒘 𝒏𝒐𝒓𝒎𝒂𝒍 had been.

"Do you hate me?" The Kryptonian asks again, but her confidence was not there and her voice resembled the quietness of a mouse.

Slowly, the Legend approached Kara with dark furrowed brows until she was but a foot from the super, "No, Kara. Not at all." Her head tilted as though she were trying to solve a puzzle written somewhere on Kara's face, in the Kryptonian's confused eyes, then the unexpected happened. A hand came up to the super's cheek, cupping it and suddenly the taller female felt out of breath as her heart pounded unsteadily. Sara's demeanor was soft, and when she spoke her voice was gentle but filled with an agonized aching, a longing that clenched around the pounding Kryptonian's heart, begging for her to ease whatever caused the pain, "I'm actually quite in love with you, really."

It suddenly all made sense to her, clicking in an instant, and she dare not ignore the demand that was screaming for her to have mercy on the one who expressed such agony for so long.

Kara was not an as experienced woman of love, romance or intimacy as others, but at that moment she was drawn down to Sara's heated full lips where hers melted into the mold, the flawless design with such fervency and ease— much more than what Sara had said clicked. It was as if the Legend's lips had been made specifically to fit Kara's, the nape of the shorter blonde's neck into the Kryptonian's hand, the super's arm perfectly able to wrap around Sara's waist.

And all was right in the world.

When they finally pulled apart, Sara was smirking up at Kara who now had a small crinkle in her brow, "What?"

"Guess I do have to throw myself into your arms after all, Supes. Took you long enough."