I feel my heart swoon at the sight as I remembered how much it meant to me that Shayden and my niece got on well. She was too alike to both Remi and I when it came to not liking the general population but seeing them so at ease with one another evokes thoughts in my mind that I need to ignore.

"What've you been up to today then, Princess?" Shay asks, throwing her up slightly and catching her again.

She laughs, her palms resting on his chest as she sends him a dazzling smile. "We had to take something into Pre-K today that meant something to us. I took my bracelet and told everyone that my Uncle Shayden was so cool and I made him a necklace just like it!"

"Did you?" He asks, his eyes widening in amazement.

"Yeah! I told everyone they should be jealous because my auntie and uncle are better than theirs."

This sparks a laugh out of me as Shayden just smiles widely, chuckling at her enthusiasm.

"Damn right, Princess." He laughs, "I need to go now but I'm going to come round in a few days and we're making cookies for your dad, okay?"

"Yay! I'll miss you." She says, snuggling into his chest as he kisses her forehead.

"I'll miss you too." He coos, putting her down before bringing me into his arms. As he softly kisses my forehead, he says, "And I'll miss my Queen too."

Despite my depressing trains of thoughts today, Shayden's aura made me relax entirely. Soothing me and my erratic thoughts in a way that I didn't even realize was possible.

"I love you."

"I love you too, doll." He swears, giving my hand a quick squeeze before walking towards his car.

"Cute." I hear a voice say behind me. I turn around to see my brother smirking at me, "Nine years later and you're still as cheesy as ever."

"Fuck off." I mutter, a smile on my face as I shake my head and flip him the bird.

"I'm glad you've found your happiness again, Sis." He says earnestly, making my heart ache.

Remi knew how badly I depended on Shayden. Through the attack, though losing my parents, through every single anxiety-induced thought and insecurity.

I always thought that Shayden got me through my parents death. But, in reality, Remi did everything for me.

Following him into his living room. I rack my brain trying to find the words to articulate just how much he means to me.

"I know Shayden supported me majorly through everything that's ever happened. But I don't think I ever thanked you properly for what you did for us, Rem. I wouldn't have been able to survive losing Mom or Dad if it wasn't for you."

"Don't be stupid, Jaimee." He says immediately, "You're the strongest person I know."

I look down at my intertwined fingers, my stomach twisting. "You gave up all your ambitions to care for me. You delayed going to College so you could work and we'd have enough money for the apartment and food. No one ever asked you to do that, you could've just dumped me at Shania's or Libbie's but you didn't."

"Course I didn't, you're my little sister." He stresses, giving me all of his attention. "You're not a burden, Jai. I would've done anything for us to have stayed together, anything. I've done everything for you since you could walk, that wasn't going to change just because we lost our parents."

"Mom and Dad would've wanted you to prioritize yourself. Your future was more important than me." I say softly.

"No. Nothing is more important than you." Remi pulls me towards him, rubbing my arm as our eyes locked. "They worked a lot. Do you remember that? They were never home when you woke up and didn't get home until you were asleep. The only time they were around was the weekend and when they were around, they weren't really around. Pops was always worried about bills and rent money and Mom was always worrying about him. I never needed to worry about them because I had you."