twenty-eight.

j a i m e e

+

I walked barefoot into my room, feeling fresh from my shower and still wrapped in my comfy towel. My phone pinged, the lockscreen of Shayden and Starr lighting up as I checked to see it was from Libbie.

What time are you coming round? Starr's missing you.

I typed out a quick reply, already being able to imagine the mess I'd be walking into. Remi avoided letting Libbie near Starr alone for the sole fact that Starr would end up covered in either food or hair dye.

She's always been that way, though. I remember towards the end of 8th grade, she'd persuaded me to dye my hair dark blue and I did. In all fairness, it looked good but having to try and get the hair dye out in hospital showers was stressful.

I shook my head, clearing out the flashes in front of my eyes and refusing to let myself wander back into those days.

Grabbing a hair tie, I try to tame my head of curls and pull each tangled strand of hair into a high ponytail. But as my hair leaves my shoulders, I catch the reflection through the mirror and stared at myself. The top of my arms came into view and my eyes caught sight of the scars. The long white lines cascaded across my upper arms, snaking around my back where I knew they continued across each of my shoulder blades.

I let my hair drop, falling down behind my back as I continued looking at the scars. Even through the tattoos, the jagged marks were prominent against my light brown skin. They were pinker than they were years ago but the color was more faded. I knew deep down that they'd never truly fade away.

Pain washed over me like a tornado, my knees threatening to buckle underneath me. Healing was weird. Looking at this permanent reminders etched onto me forever was weird. My eyes burned as tears clung onto my lower lashes but I blinked them away desperately, adamant that I wouldn't shed anymore tears for the bastards who did this to me.

I did enough of that years ago, sobbing and begging for another situation that didn't leave me marred for life. Wondering why, out of everyone, it had to happen to me? I was never one for self pity but I failed to understand what they achieved from hurting me.

Grabbing one of Shayden's khaki green hoodies and my ripped jeans, I quickly got dressed and covered up the scars. Shayden was stopping at Remi's for a few minutes to see me before he went out with the boys and I didn't want to miss him or leave him in Remi's care for too long.

The car drive was short and Shayden was already waiting for me outside my brother's house.

He leans down and connects our lips for only a second before he's lacing our hands together.

"Hey, baby."

"Are you okay?" I ask him, nuzzling my head on his shoulder as he starts to rub circles onto my hand.

"Yeah, I-"

"Uncle Shayden!"

We both stop walking, immediately turning around once we recognize Starr's voice. A smile ignites my face as she sprints up to Shayden and he bends down in order to meet her for a hug, before picking her up and spinning her around.

"My little Starr, I missed you so much." He says, tickling my niece as she giggles.

"I missed you too!" She exclaims, holding up her wrist to show her pink bracelet. "Have you still got your necklace?"

My eyebrows furrow at her question but before I can even ask, Shayden pulls the collar of his shirt down to reveal a pink necklace that matches her bracelet. "Of course I have! I promised you I wouldn't take it off."