seven.

j a i m e e

+

TRIGGER WARNING: use of a homophobic slur

+

The club walls were bouncing, the EDM music shaking the ground as Libbie and I walked into the place. She tried to say something to me but it was too loud for me to even make sense of whatever words she said. The first thing we did was go to the bar to get something to drink before hitting the dance floor. Libbie downs 5 Sambuca shots before I even had the chance to place my order. Despite my best friend's very lively presence, the bartender shoots me a weird look when I just ask for a small lemonade.

The fluorescent neon lights matched the beat of the song, and it only spurred us to dance more as we reveled in the warm and fuzzy feeling that consumed us in the club atmosphere, probably due to the small space and array of packed, sweaty bodys. By the time I noticed Libbie becoming flustered with her hair sticking to the back of her neck, I internally thank myself for taming my own in a high ponytail before the night had even commenced.

"I thought that was you!" Libbie exclaimed excitedly, throwing her arms around Taylor whose lazy smile confirmed the fact that I was the only remotely sober one here.

"Glad you're here." Taylor shouted over the music as he steps next to Libbie and pulls me into a quick hug. "Come on, there's a few of us already here."

My eyes widened slightly against the bright flashing lights, not knowing who Taylor was referring to considering he was one of the most social/antisocial people I'd ever met. Even during the High School party scene, he just kept to himself if he wasn't with Cameron or Shayden, despite the fact he knew and liked everyone.

The name sends a shiver down my spine but I ignore it, linking my arm with Libbie's and following him. Shit, what if Shayden's here? I wanted to pull my arm away instantly, still keen on keeping my distance from him after the entire tension between us.

My heart pounded in my chest, and I couldn't make out whether it was from the raw ecstasy of being out for the first time in so long or because I was scared someone was going to be there who I didn't want to see. What's wrong with me? I never get nervous or quiet.

"Hey boys." Libbie's loud voice rang, raising her glass as Taylor took a seat between Shayden and Tory, the small couch occupied by the three tall men. It looked awfully claustrophobic due to their broad shoulders and the fact it could just about fit Libbie and I on in general. "Hey Shay."

"Hi Libb." He smiles, turning and introducing her to a very drunk Tory. Libbie pulls me down with her as we sit down on stools facing the couch.

She lowers her voice, leaning close to me as she whispers/shouts in my ear, "He's so much hotter now."

I stifled a giggle, internally grateful that, despite having to see Shayden, my legs were getting a break. But she was definitely right, Shayden looked so different from the scrawny 13 year old kid he was when they first met and, damn, did he look different to the smaller and quieter boy I left at 19. "You know I always lost my senses around him."

Libbie chuckles, shaking her head as our attention is directed back to the three boys. All of them were laughing loudly at what Tory said, aside from Shayden, who leaned back on the couch and twirled the liquid in his glass, the tiniest smirk engraved onto his face as he listened to Tory tease Taylor.

"I'm going to the bar!" Tory pipped up, shrugging Taylor away from him as he stood. "Anyone want anything?"

"Tequila on the rocks." Shayden spoke up, moving his hand so the small amount of liquid in his glass was obvious.