three.

j a i m e e

+

"Taylor's not talking to me."

"What'd you do?"

"He sneezed and I accidentally said 'shut the fuck up' instead of 'bless you'."

My eyes narrow, speechless for a moment. "Libb, how do you accidentally say 'shut the fuck up'?"

"How the fuck should I know?" She shrugs, a pout on her lips as she collapses onto my shoulder. "You're still coming tonight, right?"

Now it was my turn to complain. "Do I have to?"

"You promised!" Libbie shouts in retaliation, "We had a bet and I won, so you said you'd come. Jai, you haven't been to a party since before you went to college and that's the entire point of going to college."

"Well my point of college was to get my degree but whatever, that doesn't matter." I roll my eyes, storming into my bedroom to put on a nicer hoodie. It takes me a minute or so but Libbie groans the moment I step back in the living room.

"We're going to a party, Jai. Are you seriously going to wear a hoodie and jeans?"

"Have you even met me?" I snark back, grabbing my keys, my bag and a bottle of water. "You're lucky I'm even coming and no I'm not getting changed."

"You'll never find yourself a husband wearing things like that!"

"Good!" I exclaim back as my best friend practically has a meltdown on the sidewalk. "I don't need a husband! I'm a strong and independent biracial woman who doesn't need any man to determine my worth."

"Does your inner Feminist have an off-switch?" Libbie huffs. Her short, white dress partnered with her signature converse appear to be a bad choice as she shivers while we wait for Taylor to pick us up.

Narrowing my eyes at her statement, I kiss my teeth. "Are you trying to oppress me, Campbell?"

"I hate you." She mutters as Taylor's black car pulls up.

"Hate you more, bitch." I laugh, jumping into the passenger seat before she has a chance. "Hey, Tay."

"Princess." He nods to me, moving his eyes to the rear-view mirror so he can see Libbie. "Shrek."

"I hope you die."

Taylor just laughs, pulling into a street that was already covered in red plastic cups and cigarette butts. "Did she tell you about how rude she is?"

Despite the unease settling within my stomach, I planted a fake smile onto my face and let out a few chuckles. "If it's any consolation, I would've remembered to say bless you."

"She's a bitch."

"I can hear you, assbutt." Libbie snaps, climbing out of the car before Taylor can retaliate. "It's not my fault that you're so goddamn infuriating."

By that, I think she means she wants to bone him but I don't say anything.

"C'mon, Campbell. Let's get drunk." He grabs her hand and tugs her into the house, leaving me standing on the path outside.

Anxiety tugs at my heartstrings as I contemplate just walking away, pretending that I'd vomited or something. Anything but having to face the exact environment that I was in when that happened.

But despite the fear, I entered the house and headed straight to the place where I saw the least amount of people. I spot Libbie on the patio outside with her tongue already down someone's throat and I'm pretty sure Taylor will be in the same position.