"Didn't expect to see you here."

I felt my back straighten at the deep voice sounding behind me, watching from the corner of my eye as Shayden appeared next to me. My gaze remained on him, taking in his simple outfit of a black tank with a leather jacket on top, my thought instantly consisting of how damn good he looked. I watched as he reached for the stack of cups before grabbing his usual tequila. My eyes went to the tattoos on his hands, the silver and black bracelets on his right wrist and the thick silver rings on his fingers. My stomach tightened on instinct. Looking at him made me feel so insecure as I stand in my Nirvana hoodie with skinny ripped jeans.

It didn't matter to me what anyone else thought or saw when they looked at me. I came to this house party knowing that but, for some reason, I still cared about what Shayden thought.

When my thoughts finally become rational, I reply back to his statement. "I could say the same to you."

He shrugs, a lazy smile on his face. "Not really my scene but a friend dragged me."

"Taylor?"

"Nah-"

He's cut up as another boy with dark hair walks up to us. The swagger in his step makes me dislike him instantly, despite his soft features and playful eyes.

"Speak of the devil and he shall appear. Jaimee," Shayden points to the boy now standing beside him, "This is my best mate, Tory."

"Hey." I nod at him in acknowledgement, my lips tugging up as more of a friendly gesture than a nice one.

The boy reaches out and takes my hand, raising my knuckles to his lips and kissing them. "It's nice to meet you, Jaimee. I've heard a lot about you."

I send him a tight smile but can't stop the tension from seeping out of me. Subtly, I take a step back.

Shayden notices though, I see his eyebrows furrow before he quickly catches himself and continues. "I go to MIT with T, and we worked in Canada for a few months at Camp."

My ears perk up at this, having heard tales of how fun Camp was from the school I work at. "Oh? How was it? My kids always say it's amazing."

"Your kids?" Tory cuts in, raising his eyebrows in surprise. "Damn, mamita."

"I work at an elementary school." I deadpan, narrowing my eyes at his tone. Mamita? Is he for real?

Looking between his friend and I, Shayden slowly realizes that I don't seem to like his company.

He gestures his head towards Tory, "Give us a sec, T."

As soon as his friend leaves, Shayden hands me a red cup, presumably filled with something vile.

Shaking my head, I pull a bottle of water out of my bag instead. "I'm alright, thank you though."

His forehead furrowed in confusion, which I expected. "You don't drink?"

Focusing on his face so my mind doesn't go elsewhere, I shake my head. "Not anymore."

I can tell he's surprised by the way his eyes narrow slightly, his gaze dropping towards the floor as he starts overthinking like he always did.

My grip on my bottle tightened slightly, my emotions laying heavily on my chest and my mouth dry. The music playing around us did little to drown out the sound of my erratically beating heart as it pounded in my ears, mind swirling with memories of me and Shayden. Dizzying kisses and tentative smiles. Wordless conversations full of electrifying intimacy that always left me with sparks igniting my skin. But that reminder came with that of nights of sobbing silently with questioned self worth, anxiety ridden panic attacks that Shayden soothed and stopped.