The Trip's End

Link woke up and rubbed his eyes. His head felt heavy.

It was all a dream.

Or at least, it felt like a dream.

He thought back to the day before, and it all seemed too good to be true. He glanced at Zelda, who was still asleep next to him, and saw the emerald ring glistening as brightly as her eyes would. There was no denying that everything had definitely happened.

He couldn't believe that he had finally mustered the courage to ask her. It was like a massive weight being lifted off of his chest. Not only was the couple happy, but everyone back at Rito village, too. The Rito had even celebrated with a feast, and a few bottles of drinks too many, which was probably why Link's head was throbbing.

"Oh my, you're up nice and early, for a change."

He looked at Zelda again to see her gazing at him. His face involuntary lit up with a smile.

"Yeah, my head it killing me." He sighed.

"I told you that you shouldn't drink so much." She replied, sitting up in the bed.

"But we had to celebrate." He retaliated.

Zelda smiled as she rested her head on his shoulder and held up her left hand.

"Where did you get such a beautiful ring?" She asked.

"Gerudo Town."

"When did you go to Gerudo Town?! Every time I go, you always have some other business to attend to."

"Fours years ago, when we were going around visiting the fours races." He stated, "I saw this ring on display when we were in Gerudo Town, and I bought it, hoping that I could use it."

"You've been waiting for four years?"

"Yeah..." He whispered, "But I was scared."

"Link, even if you had asked me on that night... The night when revealed our feelings, I would've said yes." She lifted her head up so that they were at the same eye-level, "Arguably it would've been too soon, but goodness, Link, I've been ready to marry you this entire time."

He smiled and kissed her forehead.

"So, tell me: what are the plans for our wedding?" He asked joyfully.

"Oh, I don't know." Zelda replied airily, "Must we start planning right away?"

"We must!"

He kicked off the blankets and sat down opposite her with his legs crossed, much like an eager child.

"Slow down." She chuckled, "The world isn't going anywhere."

"We need cake!" He exclaimed, "A ten tier cake loaded with icing galore! And the bottom tiers need to be big enough for me to lie down on."

"I- wow... Talk about high maintenance."

"And the buffet needs to be so good that when we go to bed, I'm not hungry." Link continued in a fever.

"What about the honeymoon?" Zelda questioned cheekily.

The honeymoon... They had been to practically every place in Hyrule which could be a potential honeymoon spot. All except- but is was supposed to be the final destination. Unless they called an end to this trip, and return to that spot for their honeymoon. Whilst thinking about it, Link decided that it probably was the best place to go after they got married.

"Zelda, I think it's time we head home." He stated.

"What about that last location?" She whined, "And we didn't even go to Gerudo Town."

"Uh, hello, this trip was supposed to be relaxing, not wear-uncomfortable-women's-clothing."

"You like wearing it, really." Zelda smiled, nudging him with her shoulder.

"Besides, the only reason I'd like to go is to see you wear those marvellous clothes," He smirked, before climbing on top of her, "My 'dessert' princess."

"That's Queen to you, General." She announced as she pushed him off of her.

He landed on the floor, and rubbed his backside with a wince.

"You'd think I'd have a softer landing." Link mumbled as he picked himself up from the floor, "well, shall we pack up and make our way back home? We have a lot of planning to do."

Zelda shuffled out of the bed, and pulled him into a hug.

"Thank you for this trip." She said, "It has been truly amazing."

"Don't mention it, d-dear..."

Zelda moved away, but remained in Link's arms, and titled her head as she stared at him curiously.

"Yeah, uh, maybe don't." She pointed out, "It doesn't sound right coming out of your mouth."

"Why not, s-sweetheart?"

"Please don't..."

"Aww, honey, I'm sure it sends loving chills down your spine."

"I'm done." The Queen declared as she escaped to the bathroom.

"Chin up, baby, you have a whole lifetime of this!" Link laughed.

"Shut up, you idiot!" He heard her snap from the bathroom.

"That's my girl." The General chuckled softly as he began packing their bags.

Once he was done with the bags, he decided to change into his clothes for the day. As he had his shirt off, Zelda re-emerged from the bathroom, and walked past him without batting an eyelid.

"Well, we're all done." She sighed, "Shall we eat breakfast, say good bye to the Rito, then head on back home?"

"Yes, I suppose..." Link replied as he pulled on a blue tunic, "I do fancy taking a one hundred year nap once we get back."

"Link!" Zelda hissed, smacking him in the chest.

"Hey, how would you like it if I did that to you?" He demanded.

Her eyes glistened with mischief, and Link chuckled as he rubbed the back of his neck.

"Yeah, ok, whatever." He murmured.

He hauled up their bags, and followed Zelda out of the room, ready to call an end to this trip. For Link, this has been the best experience in while, and probably the most relaxed he had been in a while.

"And a whole lifetime more." He thought blissfully.

-----------------

Yeah... Sorry this one was a bit short, but the real fun begins with the chapter to come, I guess. These two have a lot of planning to do.