A Gift

Link was looking into the bathroom mirror, razor in hand with a towel wrapped around his waist.

"Maybe I shouldn't have shaved."

He looked at his reflection, a boy who looked about five years younger than his actual age.

"Definitely shouldn't have shaved." Link mumbled.

He put the razor down and went out of the bathroom into his bedroom, then made for the drawer. He was ruffling through it, trying to find something acceptable to wear. He didn't want to embarrass the Queen like he did last year. When he reached the bottom of his final draw, he picked up a smart black tunic.

"This is good enough."

When he went to shut the drawer, he caught sight of two boxes: one wide and slim; the other small. He opened them then chuckled to himself softly.

"I completely forgot about these."

******

As Zelda stepped out of the shower and wrapped a towel around herself, she glanced over at the clock. It was only five past six; she still had time.

When she got out of the bathroom, she laid her eyes on something which made her gasp and almost drop the towel.

In front of her stood a magnificent, blue dress with golden trimmings and red inside the long sleeves. Seeing it again made her want to cry. Next to the dress was a note.

Queen Zelda,

Remember when you first came to visit me four years ago? I gave you your travelling gear, and said that there was one more thing I wanted to give you, but I would only give it to you when I think you're ready... Well, I believe that you are more than ready to wear this dress again. Seeing it must have brought back so many memories from the past. Cherish them. You can do nothing but cherish the memories of the people who gave their lives to defend Hyrule.

I daresay you can jog Link's memory by wearing this.

-Impa

"Hey, I've seen that before!"

Zelda yelped and spun around to see the General staring at her.

"When... Did you get in here?" Zelda asked, trying to compose her voice.

"Oh, is this a bad time?" He asked, looking at her with his big blue eyes.

"N-no. Not at all."

Link tightened his grip on the box in his hand.

"M-Maybe you should change first." He suggested.

"First?"

"I mean, you don't want to be standing around in just your towel." He laughed.

Zelda nodded and took the dress with her to behind a screen.

"I must say, Link, I'm impressed with your turn-out." She called out.

"What do you mean?"

"You've shaved and you're wearing something that's actually acceptable."

He stood there is his trousers and black tunic with his blond hair tied into a ponytail.

"Yup." Link replied airily as he walked to the window.

In front of him was a magnificent view of the newly built castle town. The people seemed to be preparing for something since buntings were lining buildings and flower petals were scattered everywhere.

"How do I look?"

He turned around to see Zelda standing sheepishly in the middle of the room.

"Wow..."

Link was speechless. He couldn't begin to describe how she looked. The blue flowing down her body and draping over her arms, the gold reflecting her emerald eyes. Her golden blond hair cascading down her back.

"Wow." He said again.

"Is it that bad." Zelda sniffed.

"What, no, you look... Breath taking."

"Awww, thanks." She smiled, walking over to Link and hugging him.

"I-I have something for you." He said after clearing his throat.

"Really?"

"Yes. I've actually had this for years, but I just forgot to give it to you."

He opened the box to reveal a sparkly sapphire necklace encircled with shimmering diamonds.

"Now that's breath taking." Zelda giggled, "Oh, Link, its beautiful! Thank you so much!"

She turned around so Link could brush her hair away and put the necklace on.

"There we go." He whispered softly, wrapping his arms around her from behind.

He rested his head on her shoulder as they gazed out of the window. Neither of them said anything, they were enjoying this silent moment. Sometimes, silence could speak more volume than words. They watched the people milling about on the streets free of worry. Nobody had to be worried anymore, and that's exactly how the Queen and General wanted it to be.

"Times have changed haven't they?" Link said, kissing her cheek gently.

"Of course they have!" Zelda laughed, "Did you expect Hyrule to stay the same after a hundred years?!"

"Well..."

"To think that you're actually much older than what you consider to be 'the old geezers'." The Queen carried on, "They are far more modern than you."

"Oh, forgive me." Link said, putting on an old, quivering voice, "I forgot my teeth. And my cane. And my arm and two legs. Not to mention my spleen. Let me go get them."

He hobbled across the room, hunched over, with one hand resting on his back.

"Ow, my back!" He cried, still using an old voice, "Ow, my capacity to like young people!"

"Are you still sore about those Zoras?" Zelda asked.

"I'm not 'Zora' bout them at all." Link said with a straight face.

"Still?!" Zelda sighed, "I thought you grew out of this."

"I suppose you could say that it was 'pun-intentional'." Link smirked.

"That was a bad one..."

"Anyway, I've got to go sort out the guards for to'knight'." The General said, "I was supposed to do that earlier and I forgot..."

"Oh, well, have fun." Zelda smiled as Link left the room.

"He has got to stop this habit." She muttered, smiling to herself, "Its going to 'Link' him to a terrible fate."

--------

Maybe I should have put a pun warning at the start of the chapter... Oh well! Hopefully the next chapter will be longer, if not that one, it'll probably be the one after that.