Apology

When re-working everything out in his head, Link figured out that what he was about to do was hardly a plan, let alone a master one, but he had to try. For Zelda, it was worth it.

"So, let's go through this one more time." Ari said, "I-"

"No, no!" Link interrupted, "The more we go over it, the more I want to just not to do it. It's fine, I'll wing it if I have to."

Ari shrugged. She and Link had been spending the last hour trying to find the best way to impress the Queen of Hyrule. The ideas thought of were either too boring or just flat out unachievable. Link had suggested that he hurtled through the air and scattered Silent Princesses everywhere; Ari suggested that he take Zelda out for a nice stroll.

"Wing it." Ari sighed after a while, "What could possibly go wrong..."

"Everything..." Link mumbled, "I don't see why I can't-"

"Just think about it..." The medic said, "If she's mad at you, is this really the best time to be asking? You want her to be in the best mood possibly when you do, and now is really not that time."

"You're right..."

Ari peaked out of the window to see Zelda strolling along the path, seemingly going nowhere.

"Well, here she comes, its now or never."

"I-I can't... Maybe we need a break... Gosh, it's really hot i-in here."

Ari opened the door, grabbed Link by the shirt and threw him out of the medical room. The General stumbled over and fell into Zelda, who did not look very happy to see him.

"O-oh, what a surprise." Link stuttered, rubbing the back of his neck, "Fancy seeing you here."

Zelda eyed him up, squinting her eyes. Her lips were pouted in annoyance, and her arms were crossed. She was not happy at all.

"So-o, you wanna go somewhere more private?" Link asked mischievously, leaning in a bit closer.

"In your wildest dreams..." Zelda muttered as she barged past him.

"Hmph, I don't appreciate that attitude!" He called out, crossing his arms.

"Haha, really?" She replied sarcastically, "Well guess what: I don't care."

She stalked off, leaving Link slightly bewildered. He then took a deep breath, contemplating his life. What he was about to do was probably going to get him murdered.

"Hey, Zelda, wait up!"

He ran over to her, and without warning, pulled her in closer and pressed his lips against hers. He was expecting her to pull away and shout at him for being an insensitive idiot, but to Link's surprise, he could feel a slight smile spread on Zelda's face. She didn't exactly embrace the kiss, but she wasn't rejecting it either.

"So I figured that you automatically forgive me after a kiss." He stated hopefully.

Zelda was still scowling, but he could see that she was trying her best to supress a smile.

"What if you figured wrong?" She asked.

Link cheery face fell as he cast his gaze down to the floor.

"Look, I'm really sorry, ok?" He said, "I shouldn't have had a go at you like that. If anything, I should be thanking you because you saved my life... There, you happy now?"

Zelda allowed the smile to get the better of her as she pulled Link into a tight embrace.

"Apology accepted."

They stood there for some time, interlocked in a warm hug. The evening sun was now setting, and the stars were beginning to shine through the blanket of light. The late birds were still chirping and the dusk breeze whistled around them.