Chapter Twenty-Three

Happiness is not perceptible, profitable, nor tradable, yet above all else in the world, is what people seek. We want happiness, and we want to endure a lot of it, but like air or water, is a hard thing to grasp in our hand. It's intangible. How do we know we have it? It's just a feeling, and we know when we achieved that emotion.

In the last couple of weeks, Brian and I have been spending a lot of time together. I've been extremely thrilled, and it shows that he has felt the same. I've stayed at his place many times, and I have shared my apartment with him as well.

Visiting his family as his girlfriend was a different yet fantastic experience. I had the chance to meet them before, but doing so as Brian's girlfriend was unique. The Haners gave me a well-received welcome to their home and family, which I was so happy to accept. I met his little sister, who was a young girl with lots of ambitions and many talents like his big brother. Brian's brother Brent was amazing as well. He had another brother from his mother side, which I had yet to meet.

I introduced Brian for the second time to my mother, but that time I did it as my boyfriend. She was more than happy to know that we were dating. After witnessing her somewhat uncomfortable, crazy yet funny remarks about Brian and me, we ended up having a great time with her as well.

Our relationship was new, and we couldn't keep our hands off each other. Even though sometimes I still feared my insecurities were going to appear, or the thought of moving too fast made me nervous, I was incredibly happy. Our intimacy was better than how it started, and I had no complaints whatsoever.

Reading a book as I sat in one of the chairs on the back of Anna's bookshop, I waited for my best friend to join me. She currently helped Sarah mark the new books that arrived. It was Thursday afternoon, and I had no work. Brian and his bandmates were doing an interview in San Diego, so I wasn't going to see him that night or that weekend for that matter. After spending so much time with him, being apart made me miss him a lot.

Trying not to think about Brian's absence, I continued to read Beneath This Mask, which was a book written by Meghan March, one of my favorite writers. Looking around the shop, I noticed a few clients gathered around. Staring at the main hall, I saw Anna walk my way.

"I am sorry, but Sarah is not used to the program. I don't think she likes computers very much," Anna joked as she sat in a chair next to mine. I closed the book and smiled at my friend.

I put the book inside my handbag. "Don't worry about it."

"I can't believe we are not going to see the guys this weekend," my friend explained, sighing in desperation. I shared the same disappointment.

"That's true, but Jeff called me last night. He has some business here in L.A this weekend, and since we are both free on Saturday night, I thought we should hang. The three of us together again would be fun. What do you think?" I asked, looking at my best friend.

"I like that idea. A night with friends might keep my mind occupied from feeling this loneliness," she said, pouting her lips.

"You are like a child," I joked, laughing. She laughed with me.

"It will be good for us. Besides, Jeff was part of our group back in the day; it will be nice to hang with him. I didn't know you were in contact with him," she said, crossing her legs together.

"We exchanged phone numbers after the reunion. I haven't talked to him, but last night he called. It was nice of him to invite us. He wanted the guys to be there as well, but I told him that they were out of town this weekend," I explained.

"How are things with Brian?" she asked, grinning from ear to ear. I smiled and sighed in happiness. "It's going perfectly well that I am scared it's all a dream."

"He is a great guy, and it's not a dream. It's your amazing reality."

Anna clapped her hands together and smiled.

"He agreed to go to Vegas with me next weekend for my dad's wedding. I am extremely excited."

"Does your dad know, or this will be like... surprise! I have a boyfriend," she laughed.

"I told him that I was dating someone, and he was incredibly special to me. He knows his name and that he is a musician, but I want dad to get to know Brian himself, instead of hearing from me how great he is," I smiled as I replied.

My father was an especially important person in my life, even though growing up, I didn't live with him after my parents' divorce He had been a good father, and a supporter of everything I wanted to accomplish. I fell in love with Brian, and having both of the men in my life meet, was very exciting and crucial.

I haven't said those unique words to Brian yet, but I was sure that I felt them. I loved him. I wasn't on the verge to fall for him, because I have been there for a while.

The rest of the day went by fast. Walking to my car, after Anna and I spent a delightful afternoon together, I heard the phone's ringtone from within my handbag. I grabbed it and smiled as I read his name on the screen.

"Hey, Brian!" I greeted him as soon as I answered the phone.

"Hello, beautiful. Damn, I miss you."

"The feeling is mutual. I can't wait for this weekend to pass, so I can see you."

"I know, baby. Me too," he said, sighting.

"How's everything in San Diego?" I asked.

"Slow. The guys and I are getting ready for another interview. Since we are working on the new album, we get a few of those," he explained.

"What about you? How are you?"

"I am good. I just finished hanging out with Anna. Since I had no work today, I decided to spend the afternoon with her."

"That's nice, baby. Any plans with her later?" he asked.

"Actually, we have plans for this Saturday night. Jeff is going to be in town, so we are all going out. It'll be nice to reminisce the old times," I explained. For a few moments, Brian was silent. Not responding, made me check if the call had ended. He was still on the line.

"Babe?" I asked, checking if he was still on the phone.

"Yes, I am here. Sorry, I spaced out for a bit," Brian said, sounding off. I did not know what happened, but I wanted to make sure he was alright.

"Are you sure? You sound different."

"Yes, baby, I have to go now. I'll call you tonight before bed, so I can say goodnight. See you, beautiful," he said, sounding a little like himself. I was still a bit confused about his mood previously. Did I say something wrong?

"Okay, Brian, be careful," I replied, a little off. After we hung up the phone, I didn't know why Brian acted a bit different towards the comment I made. I needed to ask him, because I didn't like this uneasy feeling I was starting to gain.