Chapter Three

Music blasted though the speakers as Anna and Matt danced to the rhythm of the music. I sat in the empty table enjoying a glass of wine.

Jeff had gone outside to attend some business calls while other people gathered around having fun.

Anna and Matt walked to the table, where I sat with big smiles on their faces. I knew they always made a great couple and it was too bad they never kept in touch over the years.

Matt had married the girlfriend he had after he broke up with Anna, but he was now divorce. It was good that they were having fun and catching up on the good old days.

I didn't know if that was going to happen often, but I knew that Anna was a smart woman who knew right from wrong.

"Hey!" she said, sitting in the chair next to me.

Matt stood up behind her, taking a sip of his beer.

"So, are you going to dance?" Matt asked and I shook my head.

"I have two left feet so I don't think so, besides I don't think dancing alone will make me look sane," I replied, taking another sip of the glass of wine that was in my hand.

Brian walked to the table alone.

"Hey!" Matt greeted him.

"Where were you? You left me alone since we got here dude," Matt said, laughing.

"You sound like a woman," Brian replied.

"No offence," he added, looking at Anna and me. He stopped his gaze to me.

"Hey, you left," he told me as I smiled nervously. I left because I didn't want to feel like a third wheel, but I couldn't let him know that. It was too embarrassing, but it felt nice that he noticed.

"Yes, I am sorry about that," I replied, and he nodded his head.

"How do you-" Brian asked, pointing between Matt, Anna and me until Matt cut him off. Brian obviously didn't recognize Anna even though they spent a lot of time in high school.

"This is Anna, don't you remember her?" Matt responded. After looking at her, Brian smiled, and an expression of realization appeared in his face.

"Oh wow, Anna!" he said, giving her a hug.

"How could I forget?" he stated, laughing.

"How are you Bri?" Anna asked.

"Everything is good," he replied.

"You two met before? This is Anna's best friend. Do you remember the mystery girl she always spoke about that was her friend but never showed up to our practices? That's Lilian," Matt explained, talking about me.

Anna and I were always together. I met Matt before, but I never hung out with him, when Anna dated him. I was too shy to do so. I always tried to avoid it and she knew it was because of my lack of confidence. I knew who Matt's fiends were. I even knew who Brian was. He knew about me but never who I was.

"Right, well we were just talking in the bar, she accidentally spilled her drink on me," Brian said, winking my way.

My face blushed, because I was still embarrassed by it.

"Wow so you are Lilian, Anna's Lilian, well it is nice to meet you officially then and for the second time tonight," he said.

"Likewise," I replied, smiling.

Another of Anna's songs came off and Matt smiled.

"How about another dance?" he asked her, and she nodded her head smiling. She stood up and grabbed Matt's hand. They went to the dance floor.

"Do you like to dance?" Brian asked me and I looked at him surprised. Why was he asking?

I didn't know how to dance very well, and I didn't like making a fool of myself. I didn't feel comfortable doing it, but I didn't know how I was going to let Brian know without increasing my amount of embarrassment.

I played with my fingers nervously. I bit my lower lip and I shifted in the chair.

"I'm sorry, I don't really dance," I simply replied, and he nodded his head. It was evident that he wanted to get in the dance floor and have fun like Matt and Anna.

I saw the small disappointed look in his face, and I took a sip of my glass of wine.

"I'm sorry," I said, looking at him.

He turned his sight towards me.

"Don't be, I understand," he responded with a small smile. He sat in the chair that Anna sat previously, and he took a sip of the beer can he had in his hand.

"So, Lilian, do you live in Huntington?" Brian asked, making things less awkward.

"No, I live in LA because of my work. I come to Huntington often because my mother still lives here," I explained.

"Wow, LA, what do you do there?" he questioned, positioning himself in his chair.

"I'm a chef. I work in the LA Country Club," I responded.

He opened his eyes wide and smiled.

"Wow that sounds like a great job. I'm not a member but a friend of mine is and often tells me to go pass by and check it out for myself," Brian said.

"Not because I work there but it is a great place to be and eat of course," I said, convincing Brian that it will be a good idea if he visits.

For the rest of the reunion, Brian and I spoke. He told about what he does and everything he and his friends went through to achieve where they are now. I spoke a little more about myself and it was a good conversation.

Overall, it was turning to be a nice night even though I wasn't having a blast like Anna and Matt were. I was simply having a nice night.

I noticed that Brian looked towards the dance floor more than a couple of times and I knew I was holding him back.

"Brian you don't have to sit here with me all night, you know. I know you want to go out there, so I don't mind if you blow me off," I said with honesty.

I didn't want him to miss on his reunion just because I wanted to sit down most of the time.

I wanted to be there instead of sitting in the table, but I was scared that I was going to look like an idiot. I had many things gone wrong through the beginning, but I didn't want to be the uptight and boring woman that sat throughout the whole ten-year reunion.

"It's okay, I don't mind. I'm good just sitting here, talking," he replied with a smile.

"Brian?" I called out his name as I bit my lower lip. It was something I was used to do whenever I was nervous.

"Yeah?" he replied, looking at me.

"Would you like to dance?" I asked, feeling guilty that he wasn't in the dance floor.

"I thought you didn't know how," he responded with a smile.

"Would you teach me?" I replied. I didn't know what came over me but somehow, I wanted to repay Brian for sitting with me and talking to me. I also needed to at least do something else besides feeling pitiful. I was enjoying myself but for once, I wanted to have real fun.

He smirked and nodded his head. He stood up and extended his hand. I grabbed his hand and stood up. He walked to the dance floor next to Matt and Anna and I followed.

He smiled and grabbed my hand in the position I thought was one to use for dancing.

"I got you, don't worry," he replied, smiling.

It was a night that I knew I wanted to never forget. It was the first time ever that I felt a bit brave and good that I was finally having fun.