Chapter Seven

Recollecting the list of menus for the week had me busy for almost an hour before closing the kitchen of the country club. Sitting in the chair that was located behind my desk, I skimmed through the papers.

"I'll see you tomorrow, Lilian," Samantha said, peeking inside my office. I returned her gesture with a smile. "See you tomorrow."

"You should get home. Today was very hectic, and I am sure you need the rest after such stressful days."

"I'll go soon. I just need to leave this done," I replied, pointing to the pile of documents that gathered on top of my desk.

"Are you sure you don't want my help?"

"I'm sure. Now go, your son awaits," I said, smiling. The young chef waved her hand my way and I did the same. Not a second after, she left.

Four days had passed since I went to the reunion with my best friend Anna. The time I got back to work, I met with the owner of the club. He had made an impromptu or sudden decision to evaluate how everyone and everything was running in his club. Of course, his drastic decision did not leave me time to organize everything in the kitchen.

Documents needed to be organized. The qualifications of every working person needed to be checked and not due, so I oversaw the kitchen staff. Thankfully, everything was running smoothly, but I still hated being caught up unexpectedly. Gregory Richmond was the owner. Not only was he very wealthy, but also, he was a direct person and somewhat a perfectionist, so I knew it was a matter of time he did something like this.

After I finished doing my job, I stood up from the chair. I grabbed my purse. I walked outside the office after I turned the light off. I closed the door behind. I grabbed a foam plate with leftovers and walked out of the kitchen.

The drive home was not a long one. I was tired. I only thought about taking a shower and getting to bed. Sleep was something that I lacked since I worked twelve hours a day almost every day. I barely slept, but the little times I did, I enjoyed it very much.

Getting out of my car, I checked the time and saw that it was almost ten at night. After I grabbed everything, I closed the door. The sound of the beep let me know that the alarm was set. I walked to the entrance of the small lobby.

"Hello, Ms. Montgomery," Bob greeted as I entered.

"Hey Bob. How are you?" I asked the guard of the complex.

"I'm doing just fine ma'am," he responded, smiling. Bob was such a sweetheart. Even though he was a senior citizen, he was still strong for his age. He did not have the necessity to work, but doing it gave him purpose, at least that's something he always used to say.

I walked to the front desk. I gave Bob the foam plate and his smile changed from normal to wide.

"Shrimp chill soup with a touch of grits. I know it's your favorite, so I had to snatch some for you."

"Thanks ma'am. I'm sure going to enjoy this tonight."

"Bob, how many times have I told you to call me Lillia?" I replied, folding my arms in front of my chest. Pouting playfully, I waited for his answer.

"It's just a habit," he simply responded, opening the plate in front of him.

"Goodnight, Bob," I said, shaking my head slightly and returning the smiling gesture he wore.

"Good night Ms. Montgomery," he said as I walked to the mailbox. I opened it and grabbed the few envelopes that were in. I hit the elevator button and waited. My phone went off. I checked on the caller ID and smiled as I saw Anna's number flashed on the screen.