Chapter Fifteen

People see beauty in different ways. Some of them know the term as a description of physical features only without linking the mind to something exterior that can change at any given moment. Others are receptive to the true meaning of beauty, which comes from within.

Being a plus-size woman in a modern society where it's still some sort of enigma to deem it as beautiful was hard to witness growing up. I fought insecurities of being a big woman. Even though I knew I had a pretty face, a good heart, and an incredible mind, I couldn't deny that I always thought men were more visual than ever, and anything I did to make them see past my looks was impossible.

Brian was stunning. Hell, he was ridiculously hot, and he had asked me out on a date. He kissed me and made me feel things that I didn't feel in a long time. I wasn't very much experienced in the whole dating scenario. The boyfriends I did have in the past, which were not many, were the typical regular John Doe, nothing like Brian Haner Jr. He was a rock star for God's sake!

Trying a summer's dress, which was the fourth outfit I had put on, I hissed in frustration. Anything that I wore made me look the same. It was apparent I was not going to become someone different in minutes. I needed to accept who I was. I loved myself, but sometimes it frustrated me that my insecurities got the best of me.

"Honey, I can hear you from the kitchen. You've been trying dresses like you never have before. What is going on?" my mother asked, entering the room slowly.

"I am sorry, mom. I guess I am just nervous. He is going to be here any minute, and I am not even ready," I responded, taking the dress off and walking over to the closet, where I had some of my clothes hidden. It was easier to leave a few things in my old home for whenever I came to visit.

Earlier in the morning, I had to tell my mother about Brian. Noticing that I couldn't sleep the night before, she asked what was happening. I was in deep conversation with the woman who gave birth to me as we both shared a bottle of wine, talking about Brian.

"Lilian, stop for a moment!" she said, stepping closer to me. There were only two people in my life that really knew me, which were Anna and my dear mother.

"You look beautiful in anything. Brian would be stupid not to notice. Stop with the damn insecurities and get dress, because honey, he is already here," she snapped, smiling. I opened my eyes wide and shook my head. I was more nervous than ever, and I wasn't even ready. My mother kissed me on the forehead as I thanked her for her words. She went downstairs, and I got dressed. I finally decided on a short sleeve floral romper. It was casual, fresh, yet amazingly comfortable. I didn't know where Brian was taking me, but the only thing he mention was to dress in something comfortable.

I grabbed my purse and walked downstairs.

"Are you sure you don't want anything to drink? We have beer. I am a wine woman myself, but always keep it just in case I invite my male friends... if you know what I mean," my mother expressed just when I was walking down the stairs. My cheeks flushed in embarrassment. My mother looked incredibly young for her age. She was the kind of woman who knew how to maintain herself. She had many hobbies and friends of the male variety. I knew she wasn't a saint, but hearing those words coming from her mouth was something I was never ready for.

"Mom!" I said, looking at Brian, who was laughing. He was sure of enjoying her company. I loved her for it, but sometimes she was just too much.

"You didn't say he was gorgeous!" she said, walking towards me. I opened my eyes wider and mouthed the word "stop," She laughed.

"Hi," I greeted him, smiling. He was dressed very casually, wearing jeans and a dark blue shirt with the symbol of Zacky's clothing line printed in front.

"Hello, beautiful!" he said, kissing my cheek.

"You two have a great time!" my mother said, opening the door of the entrance. Brian put his hand on the back of my waist, and after I kissed my mother goodbye, we walked to his car. He opened the door for me, and before sitting down, I looked towards the door where my mother mouthed the words grandbabies. She was just too much. I was glad that Brian didn't see her. I sat down, and he closed the door. After he sat down in the driver's seat, he drove off.

"I am so sorry about her behavior. She doesn't have a filter when she speaks, and she just doesn't see it," I apologized, making Brian laugh a bit as he shook his head.

"She seems like a wonderful mom, so no worries. You look a lot like her," he replied, smiling.

"So, what do you have planned for today?" I asked curiously.

"Just a nice time down at the Pier," he responded, not taking his eyes off the road. Huntington Beach Pier was unbelievably beautiful because it was known for its exceptional, peaceful environment as well as a romantic setting. I was excited about today. I couldn't stop thinking about the kiss we shared yesterday. The first thing I wanted to do was kiss him. I couldn't do that in front of my mom, and I couldn't make the first move either. I was incredibly old fashioned that way. Well, not old fashion but more like shy and insecure about it.

"Does your mom live alone?" he asked, making a bit of conversation. One of the things I never spoke about in my conversations with him was my parents' situation.

"Yes, she does. My father and her got a divorce when I was a child. They are civil towards each other whenever he comes to town, so we are still very united," I responded.

"You don't see your dad often, do you?"

"Not really. Dad is a professional illusionist. He is the headliner in a show in Las Vegas, and he rarely makes it to California because of his busy schedule. I do try to see him from time to time, but we keep in touch often. He is getting re-married next month, so I am very excited to see him again. Plus, it gives me an excuse to work on my poker face," I said, joking. He nodded his head, laughing as well.

Brian interlocked his fingers with mine, and we continued to speak about anything that came to mind. It was quite easy to talk to him about anything. He gave that trusting and caring vibe. Feeling his touch made me nervous but excited at the same time. I couldn't believe this was happening. All I hoped was that it was for something great, and not something that was going to hurt me along the way.