~ First Impressions Are Lasting ~

Start from the beginning

The royal guard led them through the streets until it was clear they were heading towards a tall, magnificent building made of the same material as the other structures- but that's where the similarities ended. It was at least five times the size of any of the other houses, and equally as tall. Turrets reached up as high as the trees, dotted with windows that L knew were used for examining the night sky. The Elven Palace was a sight to behold. The images in L's mind library didn't really display it in all its splendour.

The tall windows on every floor, glistened and reflected the shimmering lights that danced in the air outside. L could sense the magic that protected this regal building, it was stronger than anything she'd ever felt. Elves didn't mess around when it came to their own safety. Two guards stood to attention in front of the tall, ornate doors, they were dressed in silver and blue robes, and each carried a tall wooden staff. They raised a hand when the procession drew close and the doors opened without a word. Aldrid took them inside, revealing the wonder of the entrance hall alone.

L and Robbie stopped once again to take it in. They were met with a surprising sight, the inside of the palace looked almost humble in appearance. A grand staircase of twisted branches faced them and led up to the floors above, but there was nothing gold, silver or expensive looking in the whole of the entrance hall. Elves didn't generally like to show off their wealth, they liked power and connections instead.

What could be seen, were portraits of famous meetings and battles from over the centuries, things the Elves were proud of- or liked to boast about. L explained it quietly to Robbie while they were led around the impressive staircase and down a corridor behind. It was just as seemingly modest and didn't have anything of note to boast of, L knew it was likely not many visitors came down here.

It didn't take long to get Bryce situated in a room just off the corridor they'd walked, L assumed they'd picked this sterile looking room for a reason. They set Bryce up in the bed, the one piece of furniture in there, and the medic quickly got to work. She tried to send L and Robbie away but L refused, she wasn't going to leave Bryce in a vulnerable state now. There was no telling who worked for the Elf that wanted his throne. L tried not to think about Bryce being the crowned prince though, it made her stomach twist into knots.

The medic looked beseechingly to Aldrid but he simply shrugged.

"I'm not going to force the Keeper to do something she doesn't want to do, but if you want to try then be my guest."

He gestured from the medic to L, and smiled widely. The medic rolled her eyes at him and returned to her ministrations.

"Well you'll all have to be quiet then."

They did as they were told. Robbie and L stood by the window of the plain room, and the rest of the royal guard took up semi-casual positions by the door. L was starting to like this guard, they weren't stuck up and their sense of humour reminded her of Bryce's. She thought they'd make a great escort for him when he ascended the throne. No, she wasn't going to think about that. Instead, L busied herself with watching the medic and attempting to learn through what she was doing.

Before the medic could finish however, the door to the room opened and in walked the king and queen of the Elves- Bryce's parents. They rushed to the side of his bed, ignoring all else to listen to a report from the medic on Bryce's condition. L studied them while half listening to what the medic was saying. Queen Nariko was stroking Bryce's brow, he was still delirious and it was clear he wasn't really aware of their presence.

The queen had knee length, dark hair, like Bryce and Emilia, and it swept over her shoulders like a curtain. Her almond shaped, honey coloured eyes were also like her children's and watching the way she looked at Bryce, it seemed like she truly loved him. L wondered if duty and tradition just got in the way of that. Elves weren't really in touch with their emotions the way other species were. However, she quickly recalled what happened to Emilia's love, maybe she was seeing things that weren't there at all.