Chapter Nine

Eventually I got into a new sort of routine, I would play baseball with the boys most days, trying to ignore Mia, sitting on the bench cheering Benny on.
Benny and I remained icey, despite my semi-obvious feelings.  I would go over to his once a week to have dinner, and hangout with Maria.
Everyday I didn't go to the Sandlot was a struggle to not cut, everyday I did go to the sandlot was a struggle to keep up the act of being okay.
This continued on for some time, till it was already the middle of July.

"Beth I dont want you out there with those boys anymore."
"Mother I just dont want to be cooped in the house all day."
She glared at me.
"My word is final."
"Mother! They are my friends! I am going to keep playing baseball because I like it!"
Before I knew what was happening my cheek stung from the slap.
"YOu will do as I say! That game is not lady like! Its bad enough you- you- look like that! I am just trying to shape you into a proper girl!"
"I will be a proper girl! But that does not mean I cannot go and hangout with my friends!"
Another slap.
I tried to back away but she grabbed my wrist.
"You can see them once a week! And it better not be when they are playing that horrid game!"
"Baseball isn't horrid! It's fun!"
"You don't even lose any weight from it! Your still just an obeese little girl! Thats all you'll ever be without me! So just go! Back to your room! Go kill yourself or something you fat bitch!"
This time the entire bottle of wine went to her mouth not just the glass.
I ran back to my room locking the door behind me.
Fight it.
I have to fight it.
Don't do it.
Don't do it, for Benny.
Who am I kidding?
I'm not strong enough.

Blood, blades and bandages.
That's all my life seems to be now.
Blood, blades and bandages.
Thats all there is to me.

I glared up at the sun.
The summer heat was getting to me, little by little.
"Why don't you take your jacket off, It's like a hundred degrees out here."
I glared at Mia, who was sitting on the bench.
"I like it better on."
The truth was I couldn't take it off without difficulty, and even if I could everyone would see the fresh bandages.

Smalls swung, and hit the ball far into the outfield.
I grabbed the bat from where he dropped it and sauntered over to home plate.
Quickly I wiped sweat from my face and got into position as Smalls landed on second.
The ball made its way back to DeNunez and he wound up, pitching a fastball at me.
I swung and Grinned at the loud 'crack'
Dropping the bat I took off running.
When I made it to first it the ball was being thrown to third, towards Smalls so I kept running to second as they got him out.
I was almost there when my vision started going spotty.
My breaths became heaving as I made it.
"You okay Liza?" Bertrum asked.
"Yeah, I'm fine."
I took a deep breath and the spots began to clear from my eyes.
Yeah-Yeah was up next to bat, so I focused, listening for the sound of the ball hitting the bat, and ignored the ground swaying under me.
I heard the sound and took off running.

I was halfway to third when my legs collapsed under me.
Everything was spinning.
All I could see was the sky and some concerned looking blurry faces.

I was fighting darkness when someone scooped me up and started running.
I tried to focus, tried to see their face.
I could barely hear the shouting.

I was barely conscious when the sirens came.

—————————————————————————
So um.  Yeah.
Cliff hanger.
Woo.