Chapter Four

The next day i woke up and sighed looking down at my arms.

I guess my week of being clean was over.

And now i'd have to wear long sleeves.

I quickly got dressed in a hoodie and jeans, then headed out to the living room quietly and grabbed my backpack.

I quickly stuffed in my mit, my wallet and a bottle of water. Then i pulled my hat on and left the house as quietly as possible.

I drank some of the water on the way there.

Drinking water for breakfast seemed like a good option seeing as its no calories.

When I arrived at the Sandlot Bertram, Timmy, Tommy and DeNunez were already there messing around waiting for the others.

"Hey Liz." DeNunez greeted.

"Hey."

I set my bag down on the bench and took another sip of water.

Squints came in and sat down next to me "You seem really sad today, whats wrong?"

"Its nothing Squints im just tired."

"Are you sad cause you don't have a boyfriend? You know if I didn't have my sights permanently on Wendy Peffercorn I'd offer to be yours."

I laughed "Don't worry kid that's not the problem. I'm just tired."

Damn it i forgot i'm supposed to be all cheery around these guys.

Benny, Ham and Smalls all came in running.

"Your mom is very scary."

Smalls says as he caught his breath.

"Why were you at my house?" I almost yelled.

"We were waiting for you. And you didn't come out so we knocked." Ham said.

"Why would you do that? I didn't tell her i was leaving."

Benny sighed "We didn't know that. Anyway we knocked on the door and she answered like 'who the hell are you?' and i said we were your friends from baseball and she started yelling at us and calling you things and saying she could care less where you were."

I smiled sadly "Thats my mother for you. Come on lets just play some ball."

"Are you sure? Like how do you even live with that?" Ham said.

Smalls scratched his head "Not to be rude but is she even your mother? You don't look alike."

"No she isn't. Can we just start the game now?"

Everyone gave up trying to ask questions and we started playing.

I quickly grew hot but knew i could take my hoodie off so i suffered through it.

A few hours later around noon Benny declared it was time for a lunch break.

"Come back here in an hour."

Everyone agreed and headed back to their houses.

Benny and I walked back together.

"Is your mother always like that?" He whispered.

I nodded "She's gotten progressively worse."

"Do you want to come to mine for lunch? My mom wouldn't mind, plus she adores you, kinda like I do." He trailed off to a mumble.

"If you're sure she wouldn't mind."

"Oh Eliza how lovely it is to see you! It's been such a long time."