Chapter One

The day I got back from Boarding School that summer i could already tell the baseball would be great.

"Has the school here gotten out for summer yet Mother?" I asked hopeful to finally see my friends again.

"Uh no, I think they have another week or so."

I sighed, well at least it was a saturday, that meant that the guys should be at the sandlot.

"I'm going out."

I pulled on my cap, grabbed my glove and ran out the door.
After a little searching i found the guys crowded around some scrawny white boy.

"Why is he here?"
"Because he makes an even 9." Benny argued back.

"What do i not count any more?" I yelled as i threw an arm and around ham and squints.

"Beth's back!"
"Shes back!"
"Lizebeths back!
"Lizzy's back!"
"Lizzy's Back!"
"Elizas back!"
"Liz is Back!"
"Liza! Your back!"
Everyone cheered. I shook hands and high fived everyone until  i got to Benny. We hugged "We thought you were dead." He whispered.
I pulled away "I went to boarding school how is that equivalent to dying?" 

"I dont know. You were gone."
"And you replaced me with some white boy?"

"Uh yeah."
"I bet you he has some white boy name like Travis or Scotty."

Yeah yeah snorted "Yeah yeah it is."

I turned to the kid, "Well then, Hi i'm Beth or 'Lizebeth, or Lizzy, or Eliza or Liza or Liz, call me anything but the n word or Elizabeth  and your fine!"
The kid looked confused and a little scared.
"Uh uh um I." He stuttered.

"His names Scotty. Scotty this is Eliza, be carful shes kinda hard to handle."

I smiled. "Nice to meet you Scotty, i uh, ill try to tone it down."
He nodded. "Thanks."

"Lets go play some baseball!" Ham yelled. Everyone took off for the Sandlot.

Wow first chapter. What do we think?