Chapter | Three | Don't be Suspicious

"Hey hey Kaede-chan~ which club are you thinking of joining?"

"Girls volleyball! I was the ace in my middle school, cant wait to play." There's a twinkle in her eyes.

The other girls go silent. In fact, the girl's volleyball team was the most competitive to get in. Almost all fangirls of the Miya Twins enter the tryouts, so you have at least 40 students from year 1 wanting to join each year. Yet only 10 or so are able to join the club for three years.

Kaede transferred into Inarizaki in her second year of high school. Which means she has to compete against skilled and desperate first years. The girls volleyball team has many opportunities to practice with the boys team. And many of the girls end up in relationships with the boys volleyball team members. The ultimate goal of most girls was to end up with one of the Miya twins. The problem is, since the boys volleyball season starts earlier, the boys (the second and third years) have a say in who makes the team, even though the coach makes the final decision.

Kaede, completely oblivious this fact is optimistic about making the team. "Wow you're so confident haha" says Yukina. "Yeah, I'm sure you're gonna make it." says Akari in a monotone, sarcasm dripping from her voice. "But it's going to be reaaallly really difficult you know. A lot of the younger girls practiced for months just to make the tryouts!!" At this point all the girls were praying she'd give up. She was already really pretty, so she'd probably win the boys' and the coaches' bias in the first place before she could even play. If she was actually good at the sport, and no joke she would make and team and probably end up with one of the Miyas.

" The cheer team might be even better! Do you play an instrument??"
" an instrument?" " yeah inarizakis orchestra club is really famous!" Hmm...
"I used to play the piano but,,, that won't work in the cheer team huh..."
"What's your hobby Kaede-chan~?" At this point they were trying to avoid the topic of volleyball altogether.
"I like to play volleyball. Hahah." She replied. All the girls went pale. This girl isn't going on for the popularity and credit of joining the team. She was going in for the sake of playing the sport. This is what scared them the most.
One of the reasons why the girls team never made it to nationals yet was because the lack of people like her..
The girls continued to talk. "Sooo is there anyone you like so far? Hmmm?" Yukina smirked. "Nooo, idk there are lots of nice people in inarizaki, maybe Miya-kun? He's always nice to me. Nah I don't even know him though, I'm just joking." Kaede smiled.

Akari dropped her chopsticks on her lunchbox. "Oh, uh sorry.." she was flustered. Akari had had the biggest crush on Osamu since first year. But without the courage to ask him out, and seeing countless other girls failing to catch his attention. She decided to go with the "best friend and maybe later on with benefits, and then a relationship" strategy but so far she barely caught his attention.
She did the little tasks such as fixing his collar sometimes or buying him a small snack so she could quickly chat with him about trivial things. It took her weeks to get him to remember her name even though he was in the same class. Akari looked down at her knees, and balled her hands into fists. But she managed to force out a smile and say " hahah I feel you~~ he's so nice and handsome!!!"

Kaede glanced up at Akari's twisted expression. She seemed to be all smiley and innocent and oblivious of all these small hints from other girls, but in reality she liked to pull strings. She purposefully mentioned Osamu because she noticed Akari's efforts to catch his attention during class. She also noticed how all the girls looked like they were hiding a nervous wreck when she mentioned she liked volleyball, and that she was really good at it on purpose.

One conclusion she made from all the small micro hints the other girls emitted is that most of the girls in her grade either idolize the Miya twins and treat them like gods, or they were trying their best to hook up with them and goal in with an eternal relationship. Them and they're group of volleyball boys were the center of the universe in this school. The third years were cool, but she noticed her seniors gossip and fantasize about the twins as well.
Kaede cringed. Her conclusion?
Man, I feel baad for those twins.

*sorry if there're any typos!! Feel free to comment~
I'm sorry the story is moving on slowly