Chapter | Twenty-Four | A Helping Hand

心が折れる、その瞬間

It was dull rainy afternoon at Inarizaki High School. The thick grey clouds covered the sun's blessing, enveloping the world in a eerie darkness. The building was drained of students and the fluttering sound of raindrops against thick glass echoed through the hallways. Kaede's footsteps were surprisingly loud against the glossy floor.

From the end of the hallway, she heard a muffled groan and then a squeal. She froze, and listened closer. A male and female, playfully teasing one another. Curiosity overtook her. She tip-toed towards the dark storage room at the end of the hall.

She stopped right next to the entrance of the room, and listened closely. Her heart was beating fast in anticipation. What could it be?

It was the soft sound of sucking and biting of lips against lips. The echo of friction between different fabrics.

"You're an amazing kisser." The angelic giggling voice of a girl.

Then a table creaked, as the girl breathed out. Something crashed onto the ground.

A high pitched gasp followed by a low chuckle.

"I'm good at many things~"

It was a handsome smirk. That voice. That VOICE. The playful tone and the following sexily hoarse groan... that she thought.... was only hers to hear.

Her hands were shaking so she gripped them tightly against her chest, but her knees gave in and she dropped onto the floor. What the... She couldn't move at all. The shock that overwhelmed her, was causing paralysis.

It just got worse and worse as she continued to listen.

"Miya-kun... do you like me?" The girl asked cutely.

The answer was silence. Kaede heard a gulp from the girl.

"No"

"Wha... what?" The girl sounded frightened. You could hear her struggling against his grip. "Then, then why?!" she said, her voice now wavering. Kaede could literally see her tearing up through her voice.

"Because... I'm done with everyone's bullshit." He said.

The girl flipped.

"Is this about Shinohara-san cheating on you?! Am I just some sort of revenge plan??" There was a larger sound of struggling, and the girl's voice was cracking.

"Revenge? No, no. I told you. I'm DONE. Stupid loyalty, fake smiling, hurting... You wouldn't know."

The girl was now literally sobbing.

"I AM a revenge plan then!!" She wailed between sobs.

Atsumu let out a sigh, knitting his eyebrows together.

"Do you like me?" He asked.

"...I... do... I do, I always did. I always, always loved you." Then Kaede realized. The clapped her hands against her mouth in horror. This girl. She knew her voice. All those daggers in her glares, the instances when she was ignored, all the mean sarcastic comments during practice. It was Honoka.

Atsumu laughed. "Then now's your chance."

A pause. Then Kaede heard her confidently stand up and grab Atsumu by the shirt and pull him into a kiss. "I like confident girls. Good job." He breathes out. Then the table creaked again.

That's enough. Kaede thought. She stood up and brushed off the back of her skirt. She turned around and walked angrily down hallway.

Atsumu heard the footsteps. He jumped up. "I'll go and check if anyone is outside"