Chapter 4: The Last

My throat ran dry when I heard Jongin's question. An employee with loyalty? An employee with a word of honor? Why is he asking me this question? Did he still not move on from me? From us?

I want to know, too. If I am allowed to ask that question to him right now, I would've asked it.

Minseok and Jongdae looked at me, waiting for my reply.

I stared at Jongin who's busy reading my resume. Did he have to read it? I am aware that he knows everything that's written in it.

I cleared my throat. "I am true to my word." I started and Jongin looked up and stared at me, with narrowed eyes. My heart is beating fast but I needed to defend myself. I needed to get this slot. "When I say things, I really mean them—"

Jongin scoffed. "Really?" He smirked.

I pursed my lips in a thin line. "Yes." I replied. "I know myself. When I utter words, I mean them—"

"But you can't stand up for them." Jongin cut me once again. "You may mean those words but you need to be responsible for them as well. Meaning it and being responsible about it are two different things."

I gulped. His words are filled with hatred and bitterness. I could feel cold water washing through my heart and I'm sad. Very sad, that the only man I wanted to be with hates me. But what's sadder is that I can't complain. I deserve this kind of treatment from him.

"I'm afraid that's true." I said, defeated. He scoffed but I tried to cut him off. "But I believe that I am responsible enough for my actions, too. For those words I haven't stood up for, I expected the worst consequences. And I don't blame anyone for it. I am responsible for the consequences of my actions."

Jongin looked at me with narrowed eyes. I thought he was going to respond but he just kept his mouth shut and looked back on the folder in front of him.

Minseok cleared his throat. He looked at me and smiled. "You are such a fine lady, Miss Park. And I think you're actually overqualified for this job." He paused. "But what made you choose Nildex among all those huge companies?"

I glanced at Jongin who seemed to have frozen in his spot.

Minseok and Jongdae waited for my reply.

I smiled. "Well, aside from being the best in its department, I think only Nildex will bring me the best achievement in my career." I spoke. "Nildex is the only company I have been meaning to work with since I was just starting."

Jongdae nodded at my response. "Really?" He asked.

I nodded. "When I was still studying in New York, I have always dreamed of working in Nildex, harmoniously and happily. So, I tried my hardest abroad to be qualified and dignified enough for whatever position in this prestigious company."

Jongdae and Minseok smiled. Jongin just stared at me.

I believe I answered their question nicely.

"Thank you for the overflowing compliment, Miss Park. I have never expected a woman like you to adore this company so bad." Minseok chuckled. "I like you."

I smiled and glanced at Jongin who's clenching his jaw while looking at Minseok. "Thank you, Mister Kim Minseok." I bowed a little.

Jongin's eyes narrowed at me upon hearing my words to Minseok. Why are you looking like that? Are you jealous? I want to know.

I tried my hardest to ignore his stare when Jongdae spoke.

"What do you think of her, Jongin? I think she's really qualified for the job."