Chapter 27: Thank God for my best friend.

~ Chapter 27: Thank God for my best friend. ~

(Double upload today! I'd say 'you're welcome' but since it's sort of depressing chapters, I'll just say 'please don't hate me, the rest will come quick and you'll understand what's happening' ;) )

                                                                         *

Jenny arrived at five in the afternoon. I had taken a shower and changed my pajamas, realizing they didn’t smell that great. She found me crying in my bed, hugging a pillow. She dropped her bag and came to hug me. I had snot all over my shirt (ewe, I knew) but she didn’t move until I stopped bawling.

“I bought you cookies…” She said, taking a packet out of her bag. “Your favorites, all chocolate.”

“Thank you. But I’m not that hungry.”

“Since when do you need to be hungry to eat cookies?”

I shrugged and opened the packet. I ended up eating half of it.

“I’m sorry I made you come all this way.” I apologized.

“Don’t. I don’t mind at all. All that matters right now is for you to get better.”

“I’ll never get better. Damon is gone.”

“It’s not for ever! I mean…”

She bit her lips, realizing that, pretty soon, it would actually be for ever.

“What happened exactly?” She asked.

“I saw him putting a suitcase in his car so I just went outside to ask him why and he told me he was going to Australia. I thought he meant the both of us were going, you know, for the list, but he said he was going alone. Without me. And then, he said he couldn’t … do this anymore.”

“Maybe he just meant the list.”

“I don’t think so. I asked him if he was breaking up and he didn’t… He didn’t say no!” I hiccupped, before bursting into tears for the billionth time. “And you know what he told me last? To take care of myself! Like I’m the one who needs to take care of herself! He’s fucking kidding me!”

Jenny hugged me again.

“He’s going to come back Leah, I know it.”

“And then what? Huh? I get him back for like ten seconds and he disappears again but this time forever? I might as well grieve now!”

Jenny took my hand and cuddled me like she was sorry for me. Or just sorry.

“I can’t pretend I understand what you’re going through, cause I don’t. But I promise you I’ll be here for you all the way ok?”

I nodded, thanked her then grabbed another cookie. There were crumbs all over the bed. Whatever.

“Do you want me to leave you alone?” Jenny asked.

“No. Please stay.”

“Ok. I’ll stay for as long as you need.”

“Thank you.”

She smiled a little and I lied in my bed. She proposed to put on some music and I said “ok” so she put a song on. It wasn’t a sad one luckily and she started to dance all alone. I smiled, just a little smile, but it was big progress. She was ridiculous, but I knew it was on purpose. Jenny was usually a great dancer. I thought to myself I had to tell her later that she was the best friend ever.