No. No it's not worth it to lose her completely, but Mayumi isn't the type to do that. Oikawa knew that at this point she was more the type to be completely oblivious to the advances that others make on her.

"Ne, Oikawa-senpai, is this really where the snack vendor is supposed to be?"

They were in a more secluded area of the hallways leading to the main arena by the time she asked, figuring out how far they must be from her precious snacks she was looking forward to.

'Play stupid, you're good at that.'

"I thought so, they must have changed locations recently." 

"Makes sense." Oh for being smart in school, she can be so senseless. 

"Mayu-chan?" She stopped looking around for any sign of food, and looked into his eyes once he called out to her.

It was one of the things he noticed right away when they first met - her shyness never extended too far, and unconsciously she made a point to make those that were around her feel like they were the most important people in the room. She would never shy away from looking someone in their eyes when they spoke, and at first it startled middle-school Oikawa who was already used to girls acting bashful around him.

She had always been headstrong.

Always looking out for others before thinking of herself.

Heck, the first time he ever saw her was when she ran into the Kitagawa Daiichi gym and declared she was going to be the boys' volleyball manager.

Mayumi continued to look up at him, when she tilted her head to the side he realized she was waiting and he was stuck reminiscing.

"Is there something wrong, Tooru?" The more he stayed silent, the more it must have been worrying her.

So with a smile, Oikawa made his decision to go for what he always wanted outside of the court.

"Mayu-chan, are you seeing anyone back in Hyogo?"

"In what way?"

'I really have to spell this out, huh?'

"Do you have a boyfriend?"

"I thought you had a girlfriend"

'That doesn't answer my question -'

"We broke up a while ago, she didn't-"

"She didn't like how much time you put into volleyball?" Mayumi finished his sentence, and he was left speechless, unsure of how to bring up what he really wanted to say now that his past breakups were in conversation.

Mayumi then gave him a slight smile and turned her head to continue looking around.

"Ya know, if only you talked to them and explained your goals and dreams like you did to me - they might have understood."

"Maybe they would have." He knew that they wouldn't, because he did do exactly as Mayumi just said - yet they all thought they would change him somehow and make him into a typical high school student rather than the top setter he was becoming.

Mayumi must have seen the crowd around the snack vendor, or the smell of the aroma of food that finally filled the air around them, because she instinctively reached for his hand and tried to lead him away.

He didn't move, didn't budge at all. Oikawa was watching her while she noticed him holding her back, turning her head to look back at him, their hands still joined.

"I did tell them the truth, about my dedication to volleyball, but there was more than that."

He saw her eyes widen, perhaps now she can finally realize the extent and meaning in his words. 

Oikawa continued on.

"It was because they weren't you, Mayumi, so I couldn't be happy with them like I am with you."

a/n: howdy everyone, been a few weeks since the last update^^ whoopsie

for those that read the manga and have seen the end - are you crying because i still am TT TT happy tears 

Anywhosies,

Oikawa aka Trashykawa aka alien boi got his own feature

(if you notice any chapters that seem extra angst or extra fluff - just know its from whatever manga im reading at the time, or from any show im watching lol getting into ALL the feels)

I'll never be able to say thank you enough for all the love that you have shown this mess of a story. 

There are probably far better and more thought out pieces out there to read and I'm so so so so grateful for every single read, vote and comment so far. 

I love you all, stay safe and see you in the next update^^