Chapter 9: The Red Piano and the Ghost

Depuis le début

"You are not my comrades. You're nothing of mine. You're just the lowest possible form of scum, now scram before I tear you to pieces." I said with a snarl.

The silver haired boy chuckled, "What a hostile attitude you have, my friend. I guess we'll have to take the siren by force. You leave us no choice."

The rogues had formed a circle around me, and were now stepping forward cautiously, with wild, hungry looks on their faces and eyes dark as coal. Before I could do anything to attack or defend myself, the silver haired boy was standing in front of me, giving me a wicked smile.

"Good night, sweet princess," he whispered.

His familiar grey eyes were the last thing I saw before everything turned white, and I was out cold.

By the time I woke up, the rogues were gone, and they were too far away to track by scent. I didn't know how long I had been unconscious, but it was already morning and it had been early in the night when I last saw them. I struggled to stand to my feet, and a dreaded, ominous feeling took over my gut.

My eyes started watering then.

"Natalie!" I screamed out, but there was no answer.

"No, no, no." I said to myself, "Natalie, please!"

No answer.

I then noticed a shape in the distance, a dark lump in the sand. I ran over to it, only to realize it was a human body.

It was Natalie's human body.

I tried to think positively, they would want her to be alive, she's a siren, maybe it's just a female rogue that got killed in the process. It was possible, rogues tended to be very agressive and were known to be capable to kill one of their own over a siren's blood, but as my vision cleared, I realized that this wasn't the case.

I started sobbing as I kneeled beside her. There was a bloody gash in her throat, and bite marks all over her arms. Her small, now very pale body was drained of blood, and I remember that it didn't surprise me that they had drained her instead of turning her because it is very hard to stop drinking a siren's blood once you taste it.

Knowing she was dead, I still shook her by the shoulder and cried out to her, "Natalie, wake up. Please, wake up."

I grabbed her and held her close to me, stroking her straight, brown hair and rocking her back and forth like a baby, "Natalie, please... please, don't leave me."

I grabbed hold of her wrist, but there was no pulse.

Sobbing uncontrollably, I said "Natalie... please... wake up... I love you... I love you so much."

But there was no response, my Natalie was gone. I lied down on the sand, holding her body close to mine, the way we used to sleep together, and I must have cried myself to sleep, because by the time I woke up, her body had mystriously disappeared. The love of my life was gone, and all that was left to assure me that the whole thing had happened were the stains of blood in the sand, in my arms and my shirt.

Then I heard my name being called out.

"Natalie?" I said as I looked around helplessly.

"Stella!"

"Natalie? Where are you?"

"Stella, wake up!"

It was then that I realized I had been dreaming, because in reality no one had called my name after I lost Natalie. I had simply passed out and woken up in the castle as a completely different person, a heartless tyrant.

"Wake up, you sleepyheaded vampire!"

I opened my eyes to find Annabelle frowning at me.

"If I hadn't known better, I would have thought you were dead," she said.